DL Hall 2019

weams

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hall was super wild yesterday but somehow escaped only allowing 1 run in 4 innings.    He threw 89 pitches, only 42 of which were strikes, and walked 6 in addition to yielding 4 hits.    He escaped a bases loaded, one out jam in the 2nd inning, and later faced a bases loaded, nobody out situation in the 4th and only allowed one run.    Glass half full, he showed he can work out of trouble.    But overall I’d call that a very subpar outing.   

What is tells me is the quality of stuff is there (although we know this). If you have success with that kind of lack of control (notice I didn't say command) then it means your stuff is nasty.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

What is tells me is the quality of stuff is there (although we know this). If you have success with that kind of lack of control (notice I didn't say command) then it means your stuff is nasty.

I agree, but control and command are important too.    It seems like Hall has taken a step back in that regard, or else Carolina League hitters are just laying off a lot of pitches that Sally League hitters didn’t.   He’s at 6.5 BB/9 this year compared to 4.0 last year.    Of course, his K rate also has skyrocketed from 9.5 to 14.5.     H/9 are up from 6.5 to 7.2, but that’s still very good.    

FWIW, BB rates do tend to be about 25% higher in the Carolina League compared to the Sally.   But Hall’s is up 60%.    He needs to work on that.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree, but control and command are important too.    It seems like Hall has taken a step back in that regard, or else Carolina League hitters are just laying off a lot of pitches that Sally League hitters didn’t.   He’s at 6.5 BB/9 this year compared to 4.0 last year.    Of course, his K rate also has skyrocketed from 9.5 to 14.5.     H/9 are up from 6.5 to 7.2, but that’s still very good.    

FWIW, BB rates do tend to be about 25% higher in the Carolina League compared to the Sally.   But Hall’s is up 60%.    He needs to work on that.   

No, command is imperative at some point not just important. I certainly understand the concern over the walks and clearly he needs to bring that down, but for now I'm impressed with the lack of damage and missing bats.

18 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I've never went back and counted. It had 41 pitches listed as the total when Hall was taken out.

Yes, I saw that.   I got curious how it happened and so I went back and looked, and it didn’t happen at all.    35 pitches in 0.2 innings is bad enough.   

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Yes, I saw that.   I got curious how it happened and so I went back and looked, and it didn’t happen at all.    35 pitches in 0.2 innings is bad enough.   

Yeah, even 35 should get you pulled at this stage in his development. He's taken a step back with his control this year and hopefully can right the ship a bit.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, even 35 should get you pulled at this stage in his development. He's taken a step back with his control this year and hopefully can right the ship a bit.

I wonder whether he really has taken a step back with his control, or whether he's just finding that A+ hitters don't swing at stuff out of the zone as much.   Blaine Knight made a comment about this a couple of weeks after his promotion -- that is was very easy to get Sally League batters to swing at pitchers out of the zone, whereas the Carolina League hitters were more like the ones he faced in college.   Of course, it could be (and probably is) a combination of both things -- a step back with Hall's control, and more sophisticated hitters.