Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

3 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

What are they going to do with this guy if hits like this for another month? I guess he could split first base and DH at bats with Davis et al?

DFA Ruiz and have Núñez play third.

• Downvote 1

He's allowed to stay there all year no matter how well he does. I always go back to Grich and Baylor in 1971 when someone has a good week and people want them promoted now:

Bobby Grich ended the season as the league’s Most Valuable Player and captured batting (.336), runs (124) and home run (32) crowns, while adding 83 RBI. He was also awarded a Silver Glove for his defensive work, and along with his IL all-star selection, was tabbed by The Sporting News as the Minor League Player of the Year. Don Baylor joined Grich as an all-star, continuing to prove he was too good for the Triple-A level. He hit .313, with 20 home runs and 95 RBI. He led the league in doubles with 31 and added 10 triples, 104 runs and 26 stolen bases.

2 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

He's allowed to stay there all year no matter how well he does. I always go back to Grich and Baylor in 1971 when someone has a good week and people want them promoted now:

Bobby Grich ended the season as the league’s Most Valuable Player and captured batting (.336), runs (124) and home run (32) crowns, while adding 83 RBI. He was also awarded a Silver Glove for his defensive work, and along with his IL all-star selection, was tabbed by The Sporting News as the Minor League Player of the Year. Don Baylor joined Grich as an all-star, continuing to prove he was too good for the Triple-A level. He hit .313, with 20 home runs and 95 RBI. He led the league in doubles with 31 and added 10 triples, 104 runs and 26 stolen bases.

The Orioles had Dave’s Johnson at second.  He put up a 4.4 WAR 1971 season.

At the corner outfield the had already 3 guys.  Rettmund and Buford put up 5 WAR seasons and then you had Frank Robinson whom they traded after the season to make room for Don.  This isn’t the 1971 Orioles.

Yeah, too bad it's not. Those two guys could have helped a World Series contender though. The Orioles offense was never that awesome in those years. It was all about pitching and defense.

No reason to rush though or he could be back next year like Sisco. Winning a few extra games now isn't the point or we would have signed a few people.

26 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Yeah, too bad it's not. Those two guys could have helped a World Series contender though. The Orioles offense was never that awesome in those years. It was all about pitching and defense.

The O’s were 2nd in the league in runs scored in 1969 and 1st in 1970 and 1971.    Pretty awesome, in the context of the times.   They really fell off a cliff in ‘72 after trading Frank, falling to 8th (out of 12).

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

What are they going to do with this guy if hits like this for another month? I guess he could split first base and DH at bats with Davis et al?

The emergence of Núñez as a viable bat, along with presumably the eventual return of Trumbo, really just keeps Mountcastle at AAA. Along with the fact that CD is at least showing a glimmer of an ability to put the bat on the ball (staving off release at least for a while). I guess if we were to deal Mancini later this year that could open things up a bit, but I still don’t see Mountcastle any sooner than September. Nor should we, in my view. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 7:15 AM, ReclaimTheCrown said:

The emergence of Núñez as a viable bat, along with presumably the eventual return of Trumbo, really just keeps Mountcastle at AAA. Along with the fact that CD is at least showing a glimmer of an ability to put the bat on the ball (staving off release at least for a while). I guess if we were to deal Mancini later this year that could open things up a bit, but I still don’t see Mountcastle any sooner than September. Nor should we, in my view. 

We should bring him up.  There is zero reason to watch Oriole games right now.  Terrible team with no young guys with potential.  Mountcastle is ready so bring him up.   I couldn’t care less about Nunez or Ruiz.   

7 hours ago, atomic said:

We should bring him up.  There is zero reason to watch Oriole games right now.  Terrible team with no young guys with potential.  Mountcastle is ready so bring him up.   I couldn’t care less about Nunez or Ruiz.   

I posted this famous experiment in a similar context on this board a few months ago...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

I know the team sucks, and it would be more interesting to see a couple guys like Mountcastle playing every night. But even if they come up and mash, you are talking about a very minimal difference in a team that will lose ~100 games regardless. Patience, my friend....it’s all about trying to sync up our young talent in Baltimore as much as possible so we can keep them together as long as possible for the next time we’re good.

Don’t take that marshmallow yet.

• Upvote 1