Bundy has been atrocious, is his future as a closer?

Rene88

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I'm aware, I also don't see any evidence to suggest that he can get it to 95+ if he wants to.  It's not like he's able to reach down when he's got 2 strikes and put a little extra on it.  

In 16 his velocity was much better. We were contending and he was starting. 

I think worst case for him was we needed him in 16 and early 17 he was real good.  It’s like his stamina/velocity are permanently shot. 

• Like 1

Drafting these 98mph throwing high schoolers should never happen again. At least not in the early rounds. All they're doing is ripping their arms to shreds to light up the gun. You draft them and five years later they're maybe throwing 90 after multiple arm issues. Bundy is exhibit A for this and Hunter Harvey is well on his way to becoming exhibit B. Hopefully our new braintrust concurs.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not going to start a new thread for this, but for me Bundy might just be the most disappointing Orioles’ player EVER.   My expectations for him were sky high.

Certainly has to be up there, but I think the injury tempered expectations for me a bit.  He was probably the final straw that let me learn to not get too excited over pitching prospects until they're succeeding in the majors.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't understand the logic and thought process in moving someone from the rotation to the bullpen (or vice versa) is a cure for what ails.  

It's not going to make Bundy's fastball better.  It's not going to make him able to keep his fastball out of the middle of the plate.  I mean, it might but I don't think so.  

Haha, Khris Davis just hit another home run.  Bundy sucks.

It worked for the best reliever in the history of the sport.   Usually a move to the bullpen DOES result in an increase in velocity at least.    You're right it probably won't help location.   I'm not saying it definitely will work.  But it does seem like this whole starting pitcher thing is likely NOT going to at all.........so................isn't this the time to try?

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Don't really think it would have mattered.  Some guys come back fine after TJ, some guys don't.

May not have but considering his 3 previous seasons it certainly was not what was best for him overall. 

I was at a game in 16 vs Texas and he was dominant. In 17 he had that late August start vs I think Seattle. Last year had real good spurts. It wasn’t like his success was with smoke and mirrors. 

There is still talent there.