Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

11 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Baumann's slider is absolutely nasty tonight at 87-91mph. It's been tweaked to be a bit more cutterish and it's really good, plus pitch. The fastball command hasn't been great tonight, 91-94 in the first inning, up to 94-96 in the 3rd. 

This is sounding better and better. I was cautiously optimistic when Baumann was dominating Frederick, but knew at his age he should be dominating at that level if he’s going to be anything. 

His dominance in Bowie has me believing. 

22 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

This is sounding better and better. I was cautiously optimistic when Baumann was dominating Frederick, but knew at his age he should be dominating at that level if he’s going to be anything. 

His dominance in Bowie has me believing. 

The FB/SL were good, but he didn’t have the changeup or curveball last night and he needs one of them to be able to handle a lefty heavy lineup as a starter. Last night despite he good results was a relief look. I think he’ll get there, but he’s not there yet.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, TheDeau52 said:

I know not everyone will pan out, but I don’t remember being this excited about our farm system since...ever.

They're severely lacking in good position player prospects though. There's Rutschman and then a steep drop-off after that. Guys like Mountcastle and Hays have some glaring weaknesses and Diaz only has a .240 batting average at AA since he was traded to the Orioles. 

1 hour ago, TheDeau52 said:

I know not everyone will pan out, but I don’t remember being this excited about our farm system since...ever.

2008.   Top 4 of Wieters, Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta, and a lot of depth underneath.     

6 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

They're severely lacking in good position player prospects though. There's Rutschman and then a steep drop-off after that. Guys like Mountcastle and Hays have some glaring weaknesses and Diaz only has a .240 batting average at AA since he was traded to the Orioles. 

True, I was speaking more from a pitching standpoint. I love that McCoy and Adam Hall are having good years.

17 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Chalk another one up for Luke.  He's been high on Baumann right from the start this season.  Very impressive start tonight, statistically!  

While you're right, even Luke isn't predicting Ace starter from this kid. Nice outings though, for sure.

19 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

While you're right, even Luke isn't predicting Ace starter from this kid. Nice outings though, for sure.

That’s because almost no one is an ace, maybe three future aces in all of the minors and those are going to be ceiling-hitters, no one projects as an ace just like no one projects as an 80.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That’s because almost no one is an ace, maybe three future aces in all of the minors and those are going to be ceiling-hitters, no one projects as an ace just like no one projects as an 80.

David Price?   Gerritt Cole?