Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Is that the first solo one since Tillman threw one against the Braves AAA team?

Nope. Nathan Moreau of the Keys threw the last, solo 9 inning complete game in the Orioles organization.

Frederick Keys vs. Carolina Mudcats 6/30/2010. 

2 months, 2 days after Tillman's.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Watching Baumann throw a no-hitter while throwing 97-98 MPH, with 10Ks and under 100 pitches has been the highlight of the Orioles season for me. One of the most dominating pitching performances I've ever witnessed. The velocity bump and slider improvements have bumped his stock.

Very encouraging too that Hanifee throws a complete game shutout, then Baumann throws a complete game, no hitter the next night.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Watching Baumann throw a no-hitter while throwing 97-98 MPH, with 10Ks and under 100 pitches has been the highlight of the Orioles season for me. One of the most dominating pitching performances I've ever witnessed. The velocity bump and slider improvements have bumped his stock.

Is he looking like more of a prospect than say Kremer or Akin?

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That’s the third 9 inning complete game shutout in the space of a few weeks in the O’s system.    Zimmermann, Hanifee, Baumann.    

51 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Is he looking like more of a prospect than say Kremer or Akin?

He's ahead of both of them for me at this point. Kremer has disappointed me this year and Akin is looking more like a reliever. Baumann doesn't have much of change and will need more than just a slider to stick as a starter longterm, but he has a back end of bullpen reliever floor for me.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He's ahead of both of them for me at this point. Kremer has disappointed me this year and Akin is looking more like a reliever. Baumann doesn't have much of change and will need more than just a slider to stick as a starter longterm, but he has a back end of bullpen reliever floor for me.

I’m cutting Kremer a lot of slack due to his oblique injury to start the year.    He’s been inconsistent, but he’s had his moments.    Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season and we can judge him then.   

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m cutting Kremer a lot of slack due to his oblique injury to start the year.    He’s been inconsistent, but he’s had his moments.    Hopefully he stays healthy the rest of the season and we can judge him then.   

I'm judging by what I've seen from him, not his numbers. His fastball is not generating the swings and misses that made me like him more than others. Now a see a guy with a 91-92 MPH fastball, a good curve, and a well below average change. 

The curve is a plus pitch, but I've seen him get barreled a lot more this year than I saw last year, especially the fastball. Maybe I just saw him really good last year, but I've been disappointed this year and I was higher on him than anyone else.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm judging by what I've seen from him, not his numbers. His fastball is not generating the swings and misses that made me like him more than others. Now a see a guy with a 91-92 MPH fastball, a good curve, and a well below average change. 

The curve is a plus pitch, but I've seen him get barreled a lot more this year than I saw last year, especially the fastball. Maybe I just saw him really good last year, but I've been disappointed this year and I was higher on him than anyone else.

A little out of my element here but the one time I saw him his fastball was sitting 92-94 and hit 95 a few times...assuming Bowie gun was right. His curve was great that night with 5-6 of 8 (I believe) K’s on it.

I’ll trust your judgement for the most part and understand one good start doesn’t make a pitcher but I came away impressed.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The question is: Is Baumann now in the GrayRod, Hall group or is he still in the Akin, Lowther, Kremer, Wells group?

I heard Grimsley bring up Baumann specifically yesterday as a guy he liked but he needed to better his change up to get lefties out in the MLB. I was higher on Kremer before I read Tony’s post about his stuff being down this year. Hoping Kremer’s early issues were injury related. With that being said I’ve been thinking the groups were,

Group A(Potential TOR)

Hall, Rodriguez 

Group B(Mid rotation)

Akin, Kremer, Harvey(wildcard)

Group C (Back of Rotation/Swingman/reliever)

Wells, Lowther, Zimmerman, Baumann, Knight, Hanifee, Sedlock, Rom

Early on it’s looking like next year that NCAA SP will probably be the pick in the draft. Way too early, but it would be nice to add another TOR potential arm.