No deals per Olney

letgoflyers5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The spectrum of teams that we could deal with just gets bigger in the offseason" - A. MacPhail

Not a bad approach, IMO, if he didn't like the offers being made for the guys now.

Only Sherrill really has a big risk of being worth less in the offseason than he is now, and I don't think thats too terribly big of a risk given how much service time he'll have left.

I still expect some combination of Walker, Bradford, Hernandez, Payton, and Millar to be dealt in August. But it looks like the offers aren't there for Roberts, Sherrill, and Huff, so we'll try and move them in the offseason.

"The spectrum of teams that we could deal with just gets bigger in the offseason" - A. MacPhail

Not a bad approach, IMO, if he didn't like the offers being made for the guys now.

Only Sherrill really has a big risk of being worth less in the offseason than he is now, and I don't think thats too terribly big of a risk given how much service time he'll have left.

I still expect some combination of Walker, Bradford, Hernandez, Payton, and Millar to be dealt in August. But it looks like the offers aren't there for Roberts, Sherrill, and Huff, so we'll try and move them in the offseason.

What if K-Rod walks? Sherrill to the Angels for Wood?

During the offseason should be sufficient. We can make do with some combination of Castro/Fahey/Cintron now. They've looked fine out there recently.

Fahey needs to have the job the rest of the year (since he could benefit from the most experience since he plays a few positions), then go out and look for a shortstop. But I think this team would have more wins if that hole was filled. Nothing we can do for now I guess.

I do think it is a mistake to not deal Sherrill away. I invite him to prove me wrong and I still love the guy, but he was on pace for so much better than he is doing. Scares the crap out of me sometimes too.

Here is an interesting tidbit from the ESPN.com chat that agrees with many of our sentiments about B-Rob:

Erik (Papillion, NE): Should (not will) the White Sox trade Orlando Cabrera? I would've said yes and then move Ramierez to SS and promote Richar...but that's off the table. What would the Sox get in draft compensation if Cabrera walks after the season?

SportsNation Jonah Keri: (2:21 PM ET ) I'm not an expert on the Elias compensation system, but the White Sox would certainly get one high draft pick if OCab walks, even if they don't get the two that come with Type A compensation.

Cabrera's still a solid player, and like you said, Richar is gone. The best fit would a deal for Brian Roberts, but I suspect the O's are asking a lot for him. Rightly so, by the way. Roberts has been one of the 10 most valuable position players in the AL this year. Teams like the Mets (especially the Mets!) and White Sox could really use him, but unless they're prepared to ante up, tough luck.

Still, Brian Roberts could be more valuable than anyone if he were made available for trade right now.

Archived