No deals per Olney

letgoflyers5

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can guarantee this as it's probably no consolation, but the teams that should have made deals with the Orioles will be viewed as the losers. Philly hasn't done anything besides add Blanton, and that hasn't helped them much. The Mets have done zip...

The Cardinals desperately need bullpen help as do the Brewers to make a run at the Cubs, and they've done zip in that dept.

We'll see how far holding on to those prospects gets those teams...

Meanwhile the Orioles will hang onto their AS closer and should have been AS second baseman...

Who is currently sporting a 4.23 ERA.

Who is currently sporting a 4.23 ERA.

ERA isn't everything. Look at his stats vs. LH hitters. The guy is still a dominant LOOGY if nothing else, and every team can use that. I'm quite happy to retain the services of Flat Breezy...

In fact I just bought a AS ball signed by him on the Bay a few days ago, and I'll now order the T-Shirt I made...

Payton will be an August trade as will Walker and Hernandez. There's no reason to get antsy there.

Look at MacPhail's track record. He makes the majority of his trades in August.

Bradford is the only guy I question though, as I don't think he'll get through waivers. In fact I bet teams know the Orioles are going to try to do that so that's why they aren't going to trade for him now so they don't have to give up anything of significance...

I guess we have carried him this long why not another month. I just cant see a team giving up anything of value for him.

ERA isn't everything. Look at his stats vs. LH hitters. The guy is still a dominant LOOGY if nothing else, and every team can use that. I'm quite happy to retain the services of Flat Breezy...

In fact I just bought a AS ball signed by him on the Bay a few days ago, and I'll now order the T-Shirt I made...

It is def not a bad thing to have Sherill in the bullpen still. It will make the bullpen much stronger. I just do not understand how he is better suited for a team that is rebuilding as opposed to one that is in a pennant race. You said it yourself. The name is tough on lefties. He would be a great 8th inning guy on a team with a good closer. That right there should have gotten some quality offers I think. Oh wait....sorry...IMO

I think that one thing that we should all understand with near certainty, is that none of us or any of the writers/bloggers/reporters are aware of the details on any and all discussed deals. MacPhail should not be judged on whether or not he makes a trade by 4pm today, but rather what the overall results are. Perhaps he makes some good deals in August, or this off-season, that has many pleased with the returns. Let the man do his job and when/if he fails to get good returns on our guys, then we will have a legitimate beef with him.

Look, I'm one that wants to see a major influx of young talent as much as anyone here, but while my frustration on a lack of movement comes from my impatience, that fault of mine should not blur my vision to the overall bigger picture.

Time will tell on MacPhail's success or failure, but I'm hopeful that things will work out in the end.

Definitely agree. The handwriting's been on the wall for awhile now.

I agree. I was trying to wait until the deadline had passed to get upset about it, but I think you are right that the writing has been there for awhile. I just didn't want to believe they wouldn't at least trade Sherill. To me it just made so much sense. I can still remember thinking that was the plan when it was announced that he was part of the Bedard trade.

It is def not a bad thing to have Sherill in the bullpen still. It will make the bullpen much stronger. I just do not understand how he is better suited for a team that is rebuilding as opposed to one that is in a pennant race. You said it yourself. The name is tough on lefties. He would be a great 8th inning guy on a team with a good closer. That right there should have gotten some quality offers I think. Oh wait....sorry...IMO

A team with young pitching needs as good of a bullpen as it can get. Our bullpen with Sherrill is the reason we are where we are.

Archived