Dean Kremer 2019

Frobby

Playoffs? You kidding me?

I'll bet most minor leaguers have had playoff experience at some point in their baseball careers, whether it's at a lower level of the minors, college or high school. These are the best players on the best teams in the country

Second, I'll bet if you asked most major leaguers if they change how they play/prepare in the playoffs I'll bet they'll tell you that the atmosphere is different but they do the same stuff that worked for them in the regular season.

I just don't think you can get to professional baseball without having been in some kind of athletic pressure situation, in most cases

Just now, wildcard said:

Apparently.   It doesn't matter if Baumann, Lowther , Kremer or Wells get to experience the playoffs this season.

Minor league playoffs are a logical reason to promote a guy to a playoff contenting team. It is not a logical reason to hold a guy back.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Minor league playoffs are a logical reason to promote a guy to a playoff contenting team. It is not a logical reason to hold a guy back.

If its important for players to win in a playoff environment than a GM puts the best team in the playoff he can.  If the playoff don't matter than why bother.  That seems like the message.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If its important for players to win in a playoff environment than a GM puts the best team in the playoff he can.  If the playoff don't matter than why bother.  That seems like the message.

Do you honestly believe this? Or are you just so dug into this argument that you have to stick with it and keep digging?

1 minute ago, DirtyBird said:

Do you honestly believe this? Or are you just so dug into this argument that you have to stick with it and keep digging?

What part on this don't you understand?    Elias has put a promote for 4 starts at AAA for Kremer above having him help the Baysox to the playoffs.  Every player can see that.  At every level.  I am not saying that Elias is wrong in his decision.   It just surprises me that he is taking Kremer out of the playoff environment and making the AA team weaker while they are  in a playoff race.

He is clearly saying the Baysox playoff run is not that important to the organization.

I'm on the fence. I see value in a AA pennant race and I see value in moving up. It also matters that Kremer is on the 40 next year, I think.

In the end, it's pretty subjective and up to Elias. He sees more value in getting Kremer some experience that will help the actual Orioles sooner. That's fine with me, but so would be the alternative.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Kremer and Akin should both be in Baltimore in September, and Means should probably be shut down.

Why should Means be shut down? He has only thrown 105 innings after throwing 157 last year (and 138+ in each of the three years prior). He has 8-9 starts left, so it is doubtful he even tops his innings from last season, and if he does it won't be by much.

He has given up more runs in has last 5 starts, but barring injury, he should still be out there every 5-6 games.

36 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What part on this don't you understand?    Elias has put a promote for 4 starts at AAA for Kremer above having him help the Baysox to the playoffs.  Every player can see that.  At every level.  I am not saying that Elias is wrong in his decision.   It just surprises me that he is taking Kremer out of the playoff environment and making the AA team weaker while they are  in a playoff race.

He is clearly saying the Baysox playoff run is not that important to the organization.

To me it shows that he wants Kremer to get a cup of coffee in September. In the past you could do that straight from Bowie, but with AAA using the Major League balls now, it is crazy to promote anyone directly from Bowie.

I don't think it has to do with 4 starts in AAA, I think it has to do with throwing 20-ish MLB innings in September, but with the new ball promoting a pitcher straight from Bowie is something we just aren't going to see anymore.

• Like 1

I do think it shows the pecking order in AA, at least the top of it. That's Kremer. Everyone else is behind, for various reasons. My guess is Baumann's also looking to leap frog some more guys before it's all said and done. 

[Edit: I forgot Zimmerman was already promoted. Maybe it really just shows where guys' experience and 40-man status is moving them.]

3 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

That I could see perhaps - promoting a player from AA to help the AAA team with their run at the playoffs.  But never hold back a AA player who should be in AAA just to help the AA team.