If Elias doesn't select Rutschman...what would your reaction be?

Moose Milligan

What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. What would your reaction be if Elias doesn't take Rutschman?

• Nuclear meltdown.
    • I've been happy with Elias so far, but this is a BIG strike one.
    • I fully trust Elias, Sig, the analytics team and that they made the right choice, even if I don't understand it.
    • Who's Rutschman? (Just kidding)

Simple poll/discussion.  I think we all seem to understand that Rutschman is the consensus #1 overall pick and that a lot of us here want to take him.  However, Elias was part of the decision making process that took Carlos Correa #1 overall for the Astros which was a surprise to some back in 2012.  Mark Appel or Byron Buxton were thought by many to go #1 overall.

The thought process was that Correa would sign for less and that the Astros could spend more later in the draft.  Which, IIRC, they did.  And Correa worked out for sure.

So what if that happens on June 3rd?  What if Elias, Sig and the analytics team value someone else higher or just as high AND think that they can spend more money later?  What would your reaction be?  Poll above.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love players who come through on the big stage, and Rutschman certainly did in the CWS.  And he certainly has the stats and tools to be No. 1.  But I I'll trust our leadership to make the right decision for the organization.  I would also love to have a couple of years of trusting that we know exactly what we are doing before I reach the stage of doubting everything we do (which isn't nearly as much fun).

I don't know if the "I fully trust" option is the right pick for me but I would definitely hear him out on the choice. It would also show that he has some cojones to make that pick. That's a career defining decision. Someone else said recently that you don't get fired for taking the consensus #1 guy and having him not work out. You pass on the same #1 guy and you'd better be right.

Get the most premium talent possible.

We have some projectible major leaguers in the system now, but very few who could be called premium, and maybe no position players in that category. It's going to take several years to staff the international department and build the kind of relationships that attract top tier talent. We also have no talent on the MLB team that would bring back premium prospects in trade.

So, the draft is the only way we are going to be able to add top tier prospects for the next two years. Whatever bring backs the most premium talent (high school pitchers excluded) is the way to go.

Personally I hope they take Witt. Even though Rutchmans more major league ready. I believe Witt to be the overall more talented player especially being 3 years younger. If Witt continues to progress which I’m sure he will imagine how good he’ll be in 3 years when he’s Rutchmans current age.

29 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

My reaction? Trust the Process. 

What would I expect to happen on this board? Nuclear meltdown. 

I have zero reason to trust the process with Elias. He already completely whiffed on two #1 overall picks.  Rutschman  looks like a no brainer. This isn't the case of a bunch of guys all looking pretty similar.  This isn't a high school kid who we are projecting.  If he picks someone else he will have a lot of explaining to do. 

7 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

Personally I hope they take Witt. Even though Rutchmans more major league ready. I believe Witt to be the overall more talented player especially being 3 years younger. If Witt continues to progress which I’m sure he will imagine how good he’ll be in 3 years when he’s Rutchmans current age.

I'm not sure this logic entirely holds as Witt is old for the peer group that he is facing.

I would be okay with it.  I don't mind building around a shortstop and adding starting pitching depth.  These are big needs, in my opinion (along with RF).  I don't know that I'm sold on betting the bank on a catcher, however good he is, with the 1-1 pick.  Weiters was an all-everything entering the draft.  Where is he now?  Even at his best, he was "all right".

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

I have zero reason to trust the process with Elias. He already completely whiffed on two #1 overall picks.  Rutschman  looks like a no brainer. This isn't the case of a bunch of guys all looking pretty similar.  This isn't a high school kid who we are projecting.  If he picks someone else he will have a lot of explaining to do. 

We know Atomic. We all know what you think. You say the same thing every day. We got it. 

6 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

We know Atomic. We all know what you think. You say the same thing every day. We got it. 

We know what you think too which is mindlessly posting pro Elias stuff. Are you his mom?

Elias picked Mark Appel over Kris Bryant.  You know the guy who promptly won Rookie of the Year and National League MVP. A guy who already has 22 WAR over a guy who we know was not going to be a good pick who ended up never making it out of the minors.  Appel over Bryant was idiotic.  

Archived