vs. YANKEES, 5/23

OFFNY

Just now, Philip said:

You’re not being rude, and I’m I’m not insinuating that you are, but it doesn’t make sense for the managers to not be able to control their own 25 man roster. They are the field managers, they’re the guys who put the stuff on the field. They have to have the freedom to say you are going down because you’re bad, or because I want to bring up somebody else. If they don’t have that power then they are paper Tigers. They can’t do anything and the players on the field know it.

The GM is the big picture guy.  He needs to be able to make those decisions. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Philip said:

You’re not being rude, and I’m I’m not insinuating that you are, but it doesn’t make sense for the managers to not be able to control their own 25 man roster. They are the field managers, they’re the guys who put the stuff on the field. They have to have the freedom to say you are going down because you’re bad, or because I want to bring up somebody else. If they don’t have that power then they are paper Tigers. They can’t do anything and the players on the field know it.

I don't think any of the players think they do whatever they want and stay on the team. Well other than Davis.  I mean most of the guys are making the league minimum and could be demoted at any second and never play another major league game. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Baseball managers are probably the least important of any of the major sports.  

Probably correct, but when they make bad in-game decisions, it can be disastrous especially in games that mean something. There's a lot of testosterone in that locker room and a lot of ego which all has to be managed and held together so that it all works and doesn't go off the rails. When the manager fails at this, we get 2018. So, maybe the least important, but still pretty important. Managers do their best work behind the scenes and it is very important to have leadership there. They may not be as hands-on as, say, an NHL coach who is constantly calling plays, line changes and strategy changes on the fly, but that doesn't mean MLB managers are not extremely important parts of teams. It's just not as obvious.

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

In good organizations managers work in concert with the GM. When Dan was hired Buck was already here and my guess is had established a good relationship with Angelos. That is not how things work. In was a unique case here and it isn’t a big surprise it ended poorly. I like Buck but he has a big ego and had more power than most managers. That is not how modern baseball works. 

In bad organizations the managers are used as scapegoats. That happened here. I don’t think Perlozzo was a a great manager but he had no chance. 

The GM hires the manager. It is an extension of him. There are many things that a manager can do to earn the respect of his team. In a good organization a player who goes out of line is taken care of. I don’t think because Dwight Smith made 2 bad plays the other day that qualifies.  

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m not surprised. Hyde’s inaction Towards the sloppy play is increasingly annoying. He has to do something, he has to sit guys, send down guys, throw chairs, scream and curse and instill the Fear of God.

meh...

His bullpen usage elicits questions as well.

What happens when he sends down some players down? Who comes up? 

52 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

In good organizations managers work in concert with the GM. When Dan was hired Buck was already here and my guess is had established a good relationship with Angelos. That is not how things work. In was a unique case here and it isn’t a big surprise it ended poorly. I like Buck but he has a big ego and had more power than most managers. That is not how modern baseball works. 

In bad organizations the managers are used as scapegoats. That happened here. I don’t think Perlozzo was a a great manager but he had no chance. 

The GM hires the manager. It is an extension of him. There are many things that a manager can do to earn the respect of his team. In a good organization a player who goes out of line is taken care of. I don’t think because Dwight Smith made 2 bad plays the other day that qualifies.  

So it’s the GM that keeps Davis in the lineup instead of the manager? 

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

No, but he’s keeping him on the roster. I like the Beane method of assuring guys you don’t want to play aren’t an option for the field manager.

3 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

What point is it to have him sit on the bench?  Can’t complain that Hyde has never sat him. He has also pinch hit for him. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

What point is it to have him sit on the bench?  Can’t complain that Hyde has never sat him. He has also pinch hit for him. 

I would like him to DH and have Trey at 1st. I try not to complain it’s just I’m tired of CD.

Archived