Adley Rutschman to start at GCL for a game or two, then to Aberdeen

MurphDogg

44 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Need to know everything about the Adley and Gunnar debuts.  Everything.  What socks did they wear and are they on their way to the Hall of Fame?  How many pieces of gum did they chew?  What color bats were used?  Did they wear their pant legs high or low?  Gatorade or water?  Did anyone overhear any comments with their teammates about how they were feeling?  What did they have for breakfast?

You guys remember the OJ Simpson chase?  The coverage needs to be like that on the way to the ballpark, during the game and on their way home.  I want to know EVERYTHING.

Nah, I just want to know if they're wearing Orioles hats to their HOF inductions.  :cool:

On a more serious note, I don't believe Rutschman's assignment has anything to do with a desire to have him play at each venue for local PR, ticket sales purposes.  The GCL team is owned by the Orioles and I'm not even sure if they charge for attendance.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

On a more serious note, I don't believe Rutschman's assignment has anything to do with a desire to have him play at each venue for local PR, ticket sales purposes.  The GCL team is owned by the Orioles and I'm not even sure if they charge for attendance.

I'm guessing they wanted to start him in a non-competitive environment so he wouldn't feel pressure to produce positive outcomes right away.  Let him get his feet wet and then move him to a team that is competing for something.

16 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Gonna be honest,  I really think  Elias is trying  to slow Rutschman down as much as possible. People aren't watching as closely now, it's harder to hold him down when he's mashing in AAA for a year and a couple weeks. Probably trying to keep him down until at least a the super two deadline in 2021.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's already gotten to a point where it feels weird to be so invested in athletes that are 10-15 years younger than me.  Now you had to go ahead and just make it weirder, didn't you, Drungo?  

Manny Machado is like 3 months older than my son.    

14 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm guessing they wanted to start him in a non-competitive environment so he wouldn't feel pressure to produce positive outcomes right away.  Let him get his feet wet and then move him to a team that is competing for something.

Bringing him up to Baltimore uses up an option year and starts his service clock.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

Gonna be honest,  I really think  Elias is trying  to slow Rutschman down as much as possible. People aren't watching as closely now, it's harder to hold him down when he's mashing in AAA for a year and a couple weeks. Probably trying to keep him down until at least a the super two deadline in 2021.

He could also be Joey Bart and putting up a .740 OPS at Frederick this time next year.  Easy to hold him down in that scenario. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I was referring to bringing him up to Aberdeen, not Baltimore.

Whoosh!

I was making a joke that promotion to Baltimore would qualify as " a non-competitive environment so he wouldn't feel pressure to produce positive outcomes right away".

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Whoosh!

I was making a joke that promotion to Baltimore would qualify as " a non-competitive environment so he wouldn't feel pressure to produce positive outcomes right away".

I figured, but it could have gone either way.