Adley Rutschman to start at GCL for a game or two, then to Aberdeen

MurphDogg

5 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'm guessing they wanted to start him in a non-competitive environment so he wouldn't feel pressure to produce positive outcomes right away.  Let him get his feet wet and then move him to a team that is competing for something.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bringing him up to Baltimore uses up an option year and starts his service clock.

The only thing Baltimore is competing for is the #1 draft pick in 2020.

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's already gotten to a point where it feels weird to be so invested in athletes that are 10-15 years younger than me.  Now you had to go ahead and just make it weirder, didn't you, Drungo?  

Just go all in.  Wear a plaid shirt, docksiders, cargo pants, and walk right up to that 22-year-old athlete and ask him for his autograph.  Then post it on Facebook with the rest of us olds.

• Haha 1

• weams changed the title to Adley Rutschman to start at GCL then to Aberdeen ( Actually, Aberdeen)

Not saying that the O's have been slow about getting their top 2 picks started as pros, but... Atlanta's 24th round pick from the 2019 draft already has 7 homers and 7 doubles in the Appy League.  

Actually, I am saying the O's have been slow about getting their top 2 picks started as pros.  Veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy ssssssllllllloooooowwwww.  

So you decided to compare the Orioles delayed start of their top 2 draft picks by looking at how another team started their 24th round pick?

I'm not sure that follows logically.

Why not compare the Braves guy to Mr. Andrew Martinez (our 24th rounder, currently at the GCL)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=martin017and

Sure, he's 2/20 so far, but there's only one way to go from there!    And look,  more BB than K's!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Not saying that the O's have been slow about getting their top 2 picks started as pros, but... Atlanta's 24th round pick from the 2019 draft already has 7 homers and 7 doubles in the Appy League.  

Actually, I am saying the O's have been slow about getting their top 2 picks started as pros.  Veeeerrrrrrrryyyyyyy ssssssllllllloooooowwwww.  

Maybe “deliberate” is better suited.

This is the first time that this FO has done this, remember, and they have shown to be patient, and thorough.

24 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

How much sooner did that 24th rounder sign? Did he have post season awards ceremonies to attend? Trips to Atlanta to be announced to the home crowd? 

I have absolutely zero problem with how the O's have handled either Gunner or AR at this point.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Sounds like my prediction that he won't actually play in the GCL may come to pass. 

It really didn't make any sense. Not that it mattered in the big game of things, but just would have been weird to see him starting out there.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It's different for pitchers, but Logan Gilbert didn't even pitch last year after being drafted 14th overall ( the 5th overall player on my board, http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/06/01/orioles-draft-primer-the-first-round/.).

He has a 11.65 K/9, 1.85 BB/9, 1.85 ERA, .95 WHIP this year over 78 innings, between A/A+ mostly A+ in the hitter friendly California League. Sure hasn't affected him negatively. 

I wonder even when he is in Baltimore how much Rutschman catches right away. Will they view it almost like innings limit with pitchers? He can play 1B and DH so it’s not like he won’t play. 

They could save some mileage on him until they need to push him for competitive reasons. 

19 hours ago, NCRaven said:

On a more serious note, I don't believe Rutschman's assignment has anything to do with a desire to have him play at each venue for local PR, ticket sales purposes.  The GCL team is owned by the Orioles and I'm not even sure if they charge for attendance.

GCL games are in fact free to attend.

• Upvote 4