Adley Rutschman to start at GCL for a game or two, then to Aberdeen

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

It's different for pitchers, but Logan Gilbert didn't even pitch last year after being drafted 14th overall ( the 5th overall player on my board, http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/06/01/orioles-draft-primer-the-first-round/.).

He has a 11.65 K/9, 1.85 BB/9, 1.85 ERA, .95 WHIP this year over 78 innings, between A/A+ mostly A+ in the hitter friendly California League. Sure hasn't affected him negatively. 

I don't know the reasoning behind him not pitching last year, but pitchers have an innings concern that comes with them vs position players where it doesn't really matter as much.

I do agree though that it's taken Rutschman and Henderson a long time to get out on the field for whatever reason. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I don't know the reasoning behind him not pitching last year, but pitchers have an innings concern that comes with them vs position players where it doesn't really matter as much.

I do agree though that it's taken Rutschman and Henderson a long time to get out on the field for whatever reason. 

I agree, my point was more that draft year performance or lack thereof isn't that important. 

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree, my point was more that draft year performance or lack thereof isn't that important. 

No real arguments from me, though truly terrible performances can be a yellow flag if over enough playing time, particularly for college players playing at an appropriate professional level.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I wonder even when he is in Baltimore how much Rutschman catches right away. Will they view it almost like innings limit with pitchers? He can play 1B and DH so it’s not like he won’t play. 

They could save some mileage on him until they need to push him for competitive reasons. 

As to Aberdeen, Elias was pretty clear that he’ll catch some, but not a full workload.    I’d guess less than 50% of the time.     Maybe less than 30%.   Aberdeen does have four catchers on their roster already, including two selected in the first 10 rounds this year.   

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

So you decided to compare the Orioles delayed start of their top 2 draft picks by looking at how another team started their 24th round pick?

I'm not sure that follows logically.

Why not compare the Braves guy to Mr. Andrew Martinez (our 24th rounder, currently at the GCL)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=martin017and

Sure, he's 2/20 so far, but there's only one way to go from there!    And look,  more BB than K's!

I happened to look at Bryce Ball's stats right before posting that - sorry if that offended your sensiibilities.  Both of the Braves 1st round picks - also a catcher and SS - have been playing for 3 or 4 weeks in the South Atlantic League.   

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As to Aberdeen, Elias was pretty clear that he’ll catch some, but not a full workload.    I’d guess less than 50% of the time.     Maybe less than 30%.   Aberdeen does have four catchers on their roster already, including two selected in the first 10 rounds this year.   

Right but I also wonder if that may be the case once he gets to the majors as well. I could see some logic in limiting him behind the plate a little when the team isn’t ready to win. Of course, couple of years away for that to play out.  

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wonder if thats the plan for when he reaches Baltimore too? No full workload to keep his bat in the lineup as much as possible. 

6 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I wonder if thats the plan for when he reaches Baltimore too? No full workload to keep his bat in the lineup as much as possible. 

Elias has already signaled that he wants to maximize his bat by not making him a full-time catcher.

49 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I happened to look at Bryce Ball's stats right before posting that - sorry if that offended your sensiibilities.  Both of the Braves 1st round picks - also a catcher and SS - have been playing for 3 or 4 weeks in the South Atlantic League.   

Just offended my logic sense.  I agree Elias is being much slower to start Gunnar and Adley than it seems like any other team is with their top picks.   I'm not that worried about it, but it would be interesting to hear a local media person ask him about it to hear the explanation.

9 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The Posey plan makes sense--catch 100-120 games, 1B and DH to get a total of 140-150. 

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Just offended my logic sense.  I agree Elias is being much slower to start Gunnar and Adley than it seems like any other team is with their top picks.   I'm not that worried about it, but it would be interesting to hear a local media person ask him about it to hear the explanation.

For one thing, they weren’t signed until June 25-26.    And Adley had some hardware to pick up.    But still, it seems they could have been playing a bit earlier than now.    But they’ve still got time to get in 120-150 pro at bats this summer, which is plenty.    

6 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Elias has already signaled that he wants to maximize his bat by not making him a full-time catcher.

I don't think he's signaled that at all.  He's signaled that he wants to ease Rutschman into his first taste of pro ball since he's already caught a lot of innings this year.   If you say full-time catcher "the rest of this year."  I would agree.  But, Rutschman's greatest value comes as a catcher and that's where he'll spend most of his time after this season.

• Upvote 2