2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

19 minutes ago, Philip said:

If you’re Referring to your discussion with me, I’m not arguing that schoop  was non-tendered, It was my understanding that once a player is non-tendered, A new team is under no obligation to continue his arbitration sequence, and can pay him whatever. That’s why Flaherty was able to sign with the Braves for basically league minimum.

No, I think we are like two ships passing in the night here.   Last year, other posters (not you) made the argument that Schoop would get way less than $7-8 mm if non-tendered.   If I understood your prior post about Villar, you said if non-tendered he’d get maybe $2.5 mm as a free agent.   And I’m saying you are way low in that estimate, in my opinion, just like others were low on Schoop last year.    If he is non-tendered, I believe Villar will get close to $7 mm next year, similar to what Schoop got this season, though perhaps just a tad less.   

Just now, jgjbanker said:

Hopefully with all the trades that happened today, which I believe is 20+, it will create the need for some teams who acquired multiple players to DFA some folks we might be interested in picking up. 

Braves and Rays especially but other teams will be ahead of us for Braves guys.

2 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Guessing what ever we payed to bring him here in the first place.  They take over contract and give us money towards what we payed earlier on.

We didn't pay anything to bring him here. He was released by the Marlins and was a free agent. HI deal with the O's was for 575k.

4 minutes ago, jgjbanker said:

Hopefully with all the trades that happened today, which I believe is 20+, it will create the need for some teams who acquired multiple players to DFA some folks we might be interested in picking up. 

And since we didn't deal anyone from the ML roster, we can DFA the middle infielder we claimed on waivers the other day.

31 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Where do you get your figures from? The cost of a win for position players is $5.7 million.  https://community.fangraphs.com/on-war-its-linearity-and-efficient-free-agent-contracts/

Schoop has been a 1.5 WAR player this year and 1.4 WAR player last year so he's basically been an $8.5 million player the last two years.

In the second paragraph of my post you quoted, I mistakenly referred to Schoop when I meant Villar.   And my figures are from his Fangraphs page, at the bottom where they show value.    

As to that study you quote valuing position players at $5.7 mm per WAR that’s the first time I’ve seen that one.   Note that it’s “community research,” not from their staff.   Fangraphs’ valuation figures are pegged at closer to $8 mm/WAR.

Sorry about the mistaken reference to Schoop — I’ve gone back and corrected my post.  

Eventful trade deadline. Nice to see that the AL East did mostly nothing other than move deck chairs around. The Jays are actually worse, probably (without Biagini and Sanchez, adding Fisher) and the Rays traded Kolarek, Faria, minor leaguers Sanchez and McCarthy, adding only Brock Stewart. The Yankees gave away Joe Harvey, who wasn't much to speak of. Straily to Phillies. Red Sox didn't flinch.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Eventful trade deadline. Nice to see that the AL East did mostly nothing other than move deck chairs around. The Jays are actually worse, probably (without Biagini and Sanchez, adding Fisher) and the Rays traded Kolarek, Faria, minor leaguers Sanchez and McCarthy, adding only Brock Stewart. The Yankees gave away Joe Harvey, who wasn't much to speak of. Straily to Phillies. Red Sox didn't flinch.

I  think the Rays improved with a bunch of under the radar moves.  They also got two relievers from the Marlins and Jesus Aguilar from the Brewers 

But yeah Jays are definitely worse from a pitching perspective.

Big losers are Yankees and Red Sox though

24 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Yea but it would have to be release waivers right and that's a dangerous game to play because you have no leverage.  No August trades this year. 

If they decide on August 28th they aren’t going to bring him back what is the risk of releasing him?