Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any information on Guzman? A Ray fan posted on trade rumors that it could be Guzman.

I remember him being a stud prospect for the Dodgers. Right now though it looks like he's the second coming of Scott Moore, only worse...

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=6032

My money's on Gomes or Niemann. Either would make sense for us. Gomes has shown flashes and kills LHP, and could blossom just like Ortiz, given playing time. Niemann could step right into our rotation next season and he's getting up there for a prospect having turned 25 this season.

I remember him being a stud prospect for the Dodgers. Right now though it looks like he's the second coming of Scott Moore, only worse...

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=6032

My money's on Gomes or Niemann. Either would make sense for us. Gomes has shown flashes and kills LHP, and could blossom just like Ortiz, given playing time. Niemann could step right into our rotation next season and he's getting up there for a prospect having turned 25 this season.

Niemann would be wonderful. Almost too much to ask for. I have no idea why the O's would want Gomes or Guzman.

If its RHP Jae Kuk Ryu, LHP James Houser, SS Elliot Johnson, OF Fernando Perez, OF Justin Ruggiano, or OF Jonny Gomes im happy. If its RHP Jeff Niemann, RHP Mitch Talbot, SS Reid Brignac, or 3B Joel Guzman im extatic. Niemann, Talbot, or Brignac would be a steal. I would also be pretty happy with Jae Kuk Ryu. Actually anyone on that list and im satisfied. What about Rocco? Would anyone be opposed to taking him? He scares me with the injuries.

Start studying the Rays 40 man roster, because this person is on there and won't pass through waivers. Hence why its a PTBNL. We'll find out after the season.

It could also be the Rays gave us a list of players and we have some time to scout them before we decide on which player to receive in return.

There may be no doubt in YOUR mind. But there's a lot of doubt in my mind that you know MORE than Andy MacPhail about what Andy MacPhail was offered in a trade for Bradford.

Do you really think that he was offered a decent player for Bradford last week, turned down the offer, and then proceeded a week later to dump him for less value? (Or that he neglected to seek offers for Bradford during July???) This defies common sense. If the player he gets back now is less than what you'd consider decent, then it clearly indicates that he failed to receive an offer for a decent player before. So you might be disappointed in the haul we got for Bradford. But it's silly to proclaim (with "no doubt") that we could have gotten more.

Either I wrote the original comment wrong or you misunderstood. Under no circumstances would I think I know more than AM, nor do I pretend to have any idea what was offerred for Bradford.

Here's what I know, if we did a salary dump now, we could at least do a salary dump in November. Maybe we could even get more back. I'll be surprised if McPhail made a pure salary dump in August for these reasons...

1. He could do the same thing in November (i.e., trade Bradford for nothing and hope to get better). Why limit options?

2. He would give a division rival contributor for this year who could potentially turn into a compensation pick after next season for nothing.

Note, I'm not in any way saying that we're getting any stud prospect back. I'm just saying a pure salary dump just doesn't make sense to me. However, there are two very sensible explanations (so far) that may actually justify a pure salary dump.

1. The Orioles plan on using the money saved to sign the draftees.

2. The Orioles don't think they'll be able to dump all of Walker, Hernandez and Bradford in the offseason so they paniced and did so with Bradford now.

This is all I got. :laughlol:

Mackus, why 'obviously'? Why would a team bother to put in a claim for a minor leaguer coming back to the O's? Being a GM is like belonging to a club, a fraternity, these guys want to be cordial and friendly with one another. What would be the point?

Also, folks, the compensation pick(s) stuff has the caveat that the Rays would have to offer arbitration after the '09 season to Bradford AND he would have to decline it. Bradford's arb number could be as high as $6M. I don't see Tampa taking that risk.

Mackus, why 'obviously'? Why would a team bother to put in a claim for a minor leaguer coming back to the O's? Being a GM is like belonging to a club, a fraternity, these guys want to be cordial and friendly with one another. What would be the point?

The Rays did it to the Red Sox when they claimed Adam Stern so he couldn't go to the Orioles for Javy Lopez and had to be named as a PTBNL. So with the latest brewhah between the two teams this season, one would think the Red Sox wouldn't hestitate to repay the favor.

Wow, I am pretty excited about this deal. Is this guy Ptbnl from Japan or something?

It seems like every body is buying CC Sabathia jerseys in Milwaukee, Jason Bay jerseys in Boston, and Manny Ramirez and Mark Teixeira jerseys in LA.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-08-07-trades-cash-infusion_N.htm

I want to get in on the fun. Anybody know where I can get a PTBNL jersey? :P

My vote is Chad Bradford himself as the player to be named later. It has happened before.

http://www.historicbaseball.com/players/c/chiti_harry.html

I was looking through the BA Prospect book last night. I figured if we are getting a prospect it will be between their 15-30 top prospects. 90% of those guys were pitchers, the Rays are really deep in pitching. With MacPhail's love of arms, my guess is we get back a pitcher who has a shot at sticking in the O's bullpen. Similar to the Sarfate's, Cherry's, and Mickolio's that MacPhail always tries to pry loose.

Archived