Trey Mancini or Ryan Mountcastle?

Greg Pappas

If able to keep just one, would you choose Mancini or Mountcastle?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If able to keep just one of these players, would you choose Mancini or Mountcastle?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why would we have needed to ask for patience with Mancini?    He succeeded rather quickly.    

But, it’s always hard to characterize what “people on the board” think.     There have always been people who think Trey Mancini is great, and others who think he’s a flash in the pan.     Personally, I think he’s a very solid hitter who’s probably destined for a 7-10 year major league career, but who’s never going to be a star player.   Somewhere between Mitch Moreland and Aubrey Huff, but right-handed.    

Hypothetically, I meant.  I meant if he'd started off slow, there'd be calls for patience. 

Let's see if Mancini can maintain this level over the course of a season but if he does, WRC+ of 126 is really probably Mountcastle's upside. 

So yeah, Mancini, and not even sure it's particularly close. Feel like Mountcastle is the most overrated prospect we've had in a while. Wouldn't put him in the same category as DL Hall or Grayson for a second, nor would I take him over Hays or Díaz if I had to choose. 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree but then he is below average everywhere.

Tony was just relaying his views about Mountcastle's defense in LF and 1B in the Minors forum: See below... 

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I've heard he's playable at 1B and LF but needs more reps. From what I've seen so far he seems competent in both. He's getting better at picking at 1B, and his arm plays better in the outfield due to the throwing motion. He has more value if he can play solid average LF since it's easier to find a 1B. Either way, his stick is going to play so they will find a place for him to play. I expect Mountcastle to be promoted sometime in Mid-April next year (once they get the extra year of controllability) and become an everyday player at either LF or 1B perhaps with occasional duty at DH.

If Mount can be solid at 1B or LF his positional flexibility will be similar to Mancini. 

5 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Tony was just relaying his views about Mountcastle's defense in LF and 1B in the Minors forum: See below... 

If Mount can be solid at 1B or LF his positional flexibility will be similar to Mancini. 

That's pretty funny.  OH posters have be wanting Mancini out of the outfield for three years now.   Instead the team is adding Mountcastle who is Mancini 2.0 in LF.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That's pretty funny.  OH posters have be wanting Mancini out of the outfield for three years now.   Instead the team is adding Mountcastle who is Mancini 2.0 in LF.

In the OF, I will take the guy who spent 3 years playing SS/3B over a converted 1B.    I believe Mountcastle to be significantly more athletic than Mancini and expect him to be a significantly better OF once he has some experience out there.   

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In the OF, I will take the guy who spent 3 years playing SS/3B over a converted 1B.    I believe Mountcastle to be significantly more athletic than Mancini and expect him to be a significantly better OF once he has some experience out there.   

This team has so many holes, enough room for both of them. :) :) :)

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And the previous regime did neither Mountcastle or the organization any favors by keeping him at SS and then 3B for so long. I wish this was his second year at 1B and LF and not his first. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think the majority of that sentiment is driven by wanting both of them in the lineup while assuming DH will be occupied by someone else for a while. I certainly don't think it's because people have high expectations of Mountcastle's outfield defense. Personally, average OF defense from Mountcastle would be spectacular IMO. Mountcastle's best position will definitely be in the batter box.  

By the way, Mancini's second half OPS has been a lot more Mancini-like than his hot start. Surprising, however, his batting average has been way down (.217 in July and .222 in August). He's hit for power, but his batting average on balls in play has been low for two months.