Who is next?

mcloy

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I know you were a Dan hater, but besides Machado (who was a two and half month), what was he giving up? 

Now maybe Dan went for quantity over high end quality, but there's really no way of knowing. 

It's the same with Elias this time. What does he have to trade? His best chip is a Mychal Givens, who is a 7th/8th inning reliever who has struggled in a closer role on an awful team and who has put up a 4.15 ERA (3.58 FIP) since 2017.

Cashner was a 32-year old starter with a 4.26 FIP and a 6.2 K/9 who had five good starts in a row to make himself even somewhat marketable.

I probably like Villar more than some others around here, but unless a couple of contending teams have a need at 2B, he's not bringing a ton of return. 

At the end of the day, Elias is probably going to take young lottery tickets over the Dillon Tates and Even Phillips of the baseball "prospect" world for returns, as he should.

I’m not just talking about last summer, I’m talking about in general. 

I agree with you completely about Phillips and Tate and Ortiz, why in the world do you think I don’t? I would much rather have a genuine possibility than a genuine failure.

Regarding the Cashner return, well, we’ll just have to wait for six years and see how it turns out. At the moment, I’m not sure those guys are anything except young.

As I have already said, I think if we had waited we could’ve gotten more, but as I have also said, I am perfectly willing to trust Mike. I did not trust Dan, and with very good reason.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Back in the day, Roch used to post here occasionally under his own name.   But that was eons ago.    

I'd bet a lot of money that he still does, but I don't know which user he is.

In fairness, if I were covering the O's, I'd definitely follow this message board too. There are a lot of ideas floated around here that can be decent topics to discuss. I know I posted many months ago about how good about 10 pitchers were doing. Within a day or two, a bunch of guys started writing about it. I don't know if that had anything to do with my post (which was fine, but nothing crazy creative or earth shattering), but the coincidence was there for sure.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'd bet a lot of money that he still does, but I don't know which user he is.

In fairness, if I were covering the O's, I'd definitely follow this message board too. There are a lot of ideas floated around here that can be decent topics to discuss. I know I posted many months ago about how good about 10 pitchers were doing. Within a day or two, a bunch of guys started writing about it. I don't know if that had anything to do with my post (which was fine, but nothing crazy creative or earth shattering), but the coincidence was there for sure.

I doubt Roch posts here.    I know for a fact he looks at our board sometimes.    He apparently told Tony he was unhappy with something I posted about him earlier this year, and I’ve seen him put stuff in his blog that was posted here earlier on the same day and was not the kind of thing that just anyone picks up.    Things like Alfredo Simon’s stats in winter league ball.    

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

My point was he had connections before and seemingly people in positions of authority who would share information with him. That doesn't seem to be happening anymore. Now he finds out about things when the rest of the world does. It's not a knock against him it's just the reality of the situation. So when he dances around answering a question like will the Orioles trade with the Nationals it makes me believe it's more about no one telling him they wouldn't then him actually knowing. Does that make sense? 

I think you misunderstood my comment. I wasn’t complaining at you and I wasn’t suggesting that you said anything wrong, I was actually supporting you. I don’t know what Roch Does or does not know, but his position as a team employee restricts him in ways that would not restrict an independent reporter. So it doesn’t matter what he knows, he’s not gonna say Anything about anything until he has the clearance to do so.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I doubt Roch posts here.    I know for a fact he looks at our board sometimes.    He apparently told Tony he was unhappy with something I posted about him earlier this year, and I’ve seen him put stuff in his blog that was posted here earlier on the same day and was not the kind of thing that just anyone picks up.    Things like Alfredo Simon’s stats in winter league ball.    

I feel like I see some emotional defenses of him every now and then that just seem weird to come from someone who's unaffiliated. Maybe it's not him, but a colleague. Not sure. Don't really care, actually. Like I said, I'd definitely be on this board if I were an O's reporter. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I love some of the young players in their system. I really hope we can find a fit. I imagine they might have some interest in Givens with Alvarez being out for quite awhile. I'm not sure about our other trade chips. They already have the DH spot clogged up with Garcia so that might rule out Mancini. They could definitely use some more pop in that lineup though. Outside of B.Lowe they really don't have a legit HR guy. 

Isn't Choi their main first baseman? Mancini would be an upgrade over him.  

7 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Isn't Choi their main first baseman? Mancini would be an upgrade over him.  

He his, but they recently promoted one of their top prospects (Brandon Lowe) and he's been hot. They might not view Mancini as much of an upgrade over a Lowe/Choi platoon. 

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think you misunderstood my comment. I wasn’t complaining at you and I wasn’t suggesting that you said anything wrong, I was actually supporting you. I don’t know what Roch Does or does not know, but his position as a team employee restricts him in ways that would not restrict an independent reporter. So it doesn’t matter what he knows, he’s not gonna say Anything about anything until he has the clearance to do so.

Gotcha. We're on the same page now. 

54 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He his, but they recently promoted one of their top prospects (Brandon Lowe) and he's been hot. They might not view Mancini as much of an upgrade over a Lowe/Choi platoon. 

I'm not thinking they view Mancini as as upgrade.  Lowe is their long term option and is cheaper.  We'd probably get more from them in a trade from Givens.  Who MLBTR just wrote an article about him drawing interest from the Phillies and Nats.  Looked like they picked it up from Roch's blog.  

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not thinking they view Mancini as as upgrade.  Lowe is their long term option and is cheaper.  We'd probably get more from them in a trade from Givens.  Who MLBTR just wrote an article about him drawing interest from the Phillies and Nats.  Looked like they picked it up from Roch's blog.  

I wonder how Jonah Heim is doing in their system?

Saw this on mlbpipeline,

https://www.mlb.com/news/5-trade-ideas-as-deadline-approaches

The Indians, Brewers and Orioles bang out a blockbuster

Milwaukee gets: RHP Trevor Bauer

Cleveland gets: OF Trey Mancini; RHP Dylan Bundy and RHP Mychal Givens

Baltimore gets: SS Brice Turang, OF Tristen Lutz, RHP Zack Brown, C Mario Feliciano, RHP Nick Sandlin and SS Marcos Gonzalez

Prospects Turang (No. 2, Brewers), Lutz (No. 4, Brewers), Brown (No. 6, Brewers), Feliciano (No. 14, Brewers), Sandlin (No. 18, Indians) and Gonzalez (No. 28, Indians) continue the reshaping of the Orioles’ system, though it’s possible the deal would need to be rounded out by a couple other, lower-profile prospect

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Saw this on mlbpipeline,

Baltimore gets: SS Brice Turang, OF Tristen Lutz, RHP Zack Brown, C Mario Feliciano, RHP Nick Sandlin and SS Marcos Gonzalez

Prospects Turang (No. 2, Brewers), Lutz (No. 4, Brewers), Brown (No. 6, Brewers), Feliciano (No. 14, Brewers), Sandlin (No. 18, Indians) and Gonzalez (No. 28, Indians) continue the reshaping of the Orioles’ system, though it’s possible the deal would need to be rounded out by a couple other, lower-profile prospect

That would not make sense for either Milwaukee or Cleveland. It would be great for Baltimore though.

Givens is much more likely than Mancini.  1B/corner OFers/DH's just are not in high demand.  And Givens is on a roll - people understand that he's playing in a bandbox at home and had a couple of bad games that inflated his ERA - he's been dynamic on the road and is on his way to being a legit closer.  12.8 SO's per inning seals the deal.  Even Villar has more chance of being traded than Mancini, imo.  His numbers are actually a bit better on the road than at home.    

45 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Saw this on mlbpipeline,

This trade idea is confusing. it implies that Cleveland is "going for it" and if they are then why are they trading Bauer in the first place?