Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

2 hours ago, scbalt52 said:

For those of you that like and know how to deep dive in baseball reference...if you feel like looking up how many teams have had 2 sub-.200 hitters with at least 300 AB's in a season I would be curious. Martin and Davis are likely to reach those marks. Wouldn't think it has happened much if ever.

86 Players since 1961 (Expansion Era) have had a BA of less than .200 and 300 or more AB's

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I can see you have not learned to separate your offense from your defense.....but Martin has.

34 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

...What?

I think wildcard has not learned that a player can be good/decent at one aspect of the game, and yet be so terrible at the other aspects of the game that he is a bad player overall.

And by the way, though I’ve been one of the people saying that my eyes don’t agree with the advanced metrics’ assessment of Martin’s defense, let’s not make him out to be the next Mark Belanger, or even the next JJ Hardy.   He’s just arguably better than the awful defensive SS that the advanced metrics make him out to be.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think wildcard has not learned that a player can be good/decent at one aspect of the game, and yet be so terrible at the other aspects of the game that he is a bad player overall.

And by the way, though I’ve been one of the people saying that my eyes don’t agree with the advanced metrics’ assessment of Martin’s defense, let’s not make him out to be the next Mark Belanger, or even the next JJ Hardy.   He’s just arguably better than the awful defensive SS that the advanced metrics make him out to be.    

You did.  Not a serious comment on my part.  Should have put a smiley there.

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin has not been one of the worst players in baseball.  He has been one of the worst hitters in baseball.  His defense  is good unless you want to believe some of the advance defensive metrics. 

WC, Inn your response to Frobby, He was quoting you above. I believe you meant to put a question mark at the end of the first sentence as you were responding to another poster that had said Martin was one of the worst. At least that was what I thought you meant at the time.

10 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I am extremely curious what we will see next year. He had a terrible go of it in Double-A in 2017 in a similar number of games as he's played this year in the Majors and bounced back in a big way in 2018. I want to see if he can put up a similar sort of bounce back showing in Norfolk next year.

They tested his vision between the 2017-18 off-season and made corrections.  He finally started to see the ball better in 2018.  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Martin is  310/370/381/751 since the All Star Break.  I know it is SSS and he will probably not continue at that rate but I am looking for hope here.

Since he changed his batting stance his swing is shorter to the ball, and it looks like he’s seeing pitches better. I wouldn’t expect him to be a consistent .300 hitter going forward, but .260 + shouldn’t be too difficult. Add that to his defense (which I think will also get better with experience) and we have a player with positive value. 

41 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Since he changed his batting stance his swing is shorter to the ball, and it looks like he’s seeing pitches better. I wouldn’t expect him to be a consistent .300 hitter going forward, but .260 + shouldn’t be too difficult. Add that to his defense (which I think will also get better with experience) and we have a player with positive value. 

Welcome to the Board Mr. Optimistic. 

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin is  310/370/381/751 since the All Star Break.  I know it is SSS and he will probably not continue at that rate but I am looking for hope here.

If you're watching the games, this checks out with what you're seeing. He's clearly improved lately. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

Well, Señor Anthony Santander, Agua Blanca,  was similarly over-matched during his first Rule 5 appearances, so there is that, Ms Downer!  ?

Señor Anthony Santander, Agua Blanca, es un jugador de béisbol dominante.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

If you're watching the games, this checks out with what you're seeing. He's clearly improved lately. 

It's only 42 at bats since the all star break. Martin will get exposed if he plays everyday. Martin will likely be around next year and get his chance to play everyday, and I wish him good luck.