I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, not to pour more salt on Tony’s wound, but the pitchers had a 3.98 ERA for Wieters compared to 4.28 for Joseph.   And, the team went 65-48 in Wieters’ starts, 19-21 in Joseph’s starts.     So, I think we win this argument.    

Wieters was paid $15.8 million to put up 1.1 rWAR. In 100 games the year before, Joseph put up 1.7 rWAR for $515,000. It was a waste of resources to give Weiters that money, resources that could have been used elsewhere. 

If you wanna claim victory for Wieters putting up a paltry 1.1 rWAR while making that kind of money, feel free, but Joseph showed up until 2018 that when he played regularly he was able to produce both offensively and defensively. He should have been the starter in 2016 and the Orioles could have used that other $15 million for something else to help the team!

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wieters was paid $15.8 million to put up 1.1 rWAR. In 100 games the year before, Joseph put up 1.7 rWAR for $515,000. It was a waste of resources to give Weiters that money, resources that could have been used elsewhere. 

If you wanna claim victory for Wieters putting up a paltry 1.1 rWAR while making that kind of money, feel free, but Joseph showed up until 2018 that when he played regularly he was able to produce both offensively and defensively. He should have been the starter in 2016 and the Orioles could have used that other $15 million for something else to help the team!

I was convinced no player would ever take a qualifying offer! Especially a Boras client!

4 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

And not good

Projections aren’t everything or perfect but Steamer projects Profar better than Villar in 2020. I’m sure other projection systems (no others are out yet) will see it differently depending on how they weight different things.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Slightly different argument.   The way I see it, the O’s gave Wieters the QO expecting him to reject it, thus yielding a draft pick.   He surprised them and accepted it.    In that sense, you’re right that they gambled and lost.   

But the fact is, Wieters then had a solid 2016.    Not 1.1 rWAR as you said, but 1.9 rWAR.  (1.1 fWAR though.).   The team pitched well when he caught.   But also, he had a strong knack for timely hitting that year.    He had a 1.68 Win Probability Added, just a little behind Manny for tops on the team.   I recall that of the top 10 highest leveraged hits for the team, Wieters had 4-5 of them.     

Might they have done better using the $15 mm for something else?   Maybe.    Who was going to catch?    You can assume that Joseph would have hit better if he played more — one thing’s for certain, he couldn’t have done any worse.    But who would have backed him up?    Who would have stepped in when Joseph got hit in the testicle with a foul ball and missed a month?

Bottom line, I have to say it worked out for the team.    The season began with a walk-off hit from Wieters on Opening Day, and we clinched a wild card spot in the final game of the year when Wieters homered twice, knocking in 4 runs in a 5-2 win.    To me, he was a solid contributor to the last playoff team we’re going to see for a while.    So, I don’t regret how the QO worked out, even though I wanted the draft pick.   

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

WAR isn’t a perfect stat.  Joseph is below replacement level player in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Nobody wants him 

I didn't ask for your opinion, just an official word one way or the other....But thanks

10 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Projections aren’t everything or perfect but Steamer projects Profar better than Villar in 2020. I’m sure other projection systems (no others are out yet) will see it differently depending on how they weight different things.

I'd put a wager on it ...Is anybody game????