Stewart recalled

Legend_Of_Joey

41 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Capable of what, making Manny Ramirez look like a good left fielder

I said it the day he was drafted, he is not a ML player. He didn't / doesn't have a single projectable ML tool (arm, speed, power, contact)

Man I'd love to interview the scout(s) that thought he was worthy of a first round pick

This patently false.  He lead the ACC in AVG, OBP and SLG.  He was seen as having plus contact skills and a quick bat with an exceptional eye.

He was ranked 26 by Kiley Daniel, and 30 by BA going into the draft.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Don’t want to make excuses for the guy, but the outfield was probably quite wet.   Sometimes stuff happens.

I was surprised that nobody brought that up until you did. There was an hour long weather delay and it was raining throughout the night. The wet field likely played a major role in Stewart slipping when he was attempting to make the catch. 

Stewart, who turns 26 in November, has the following minor league career slashline: .254 Avg/.357 OBP/.431 SLG/.788 OPS. His two seasons at AAA Norfolk show a very similar .252/.351/.442/.792. 

I was disappointed that we selected Stewart with the first pick in the 2015 draft, but don't begrudge him for not (yet) becoming the player our scouts had expected him to be.  Stewart is young enough to make his mark for this team, and may yet surprise with a .800+ OPS moving forward,  but I suspect we'll see a .750'ish OPS player with average-at-best defense in LF.  So, not a quality starting corner outfielder, but serviceable.

Pending the arrival of Mountcastle (or possibly even Hays or Diaz) and how well he shows the remainder of 2019,  I'd imagine we'll see DJ pushing for playing time in LF to start the 2020 season.  

• Upvote 1

Certainly a tough break for DJ on a seemingly playable ball. I have no doubt being on a wet field had a pretty big impact on the play. Surprised that he did not exit game immediately but ultimately hope this isn’t a major hold up for him. Shake it off kid. 

Mountcastle has played  left field on July 30, August 1, 2, 3,  and 6.   The only other place he has played in that time frame in one game at DH.   That might give us some insight into what the O's are thinking about left field in the future.   We will have to keep watching that to see how they think Mountcastle is doing out there.

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Mountcastle has played  left field on July 30, August 1, 2, 3,  and 6.   The only other place he has played in that time frame in one game at DH.   That might give us some insight into what the O's are thinking about left field in the future.   We will have to keep watching that to see how they think Mountcastle is doing out there.

We sure do have a lot of outfielders.

You know, stuff happens, and all that... but on a team where just about anyone can get some playing time if they show the slightest competence, Stewart has had a terrible time.  That was brutal.  Hopefully he can do something useful going forward.

Just now, Ripken said:

You know, stuff happens, and all that... but on a team where just about anyone can get some playing time if they show the slightest competence, Stewart has had a terrible time.  That was brutal.  Hopefully he can do something useful going forward.

Instantly becomes the gif that exemplifies the Orioles this year, at least from the rest of baseball's standpoint. He slipped, clearly, but it is what it is. 

Poor guy can't catch a break. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Instantly becomes the gif that exemplifies the Orioles this year, at least from the rest of baseball's standpoint. He slipped, clearly, but it is what it is. 

Yeah.  I actually like the kid.  Thought his bat showed well in Frederick.  He may still have some good moments for the Orioles but any real MLB success will very likely be elsewhere with the massive rebuild here.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Otoh, if he makes it through this and has a good career, he's bound to become a fan favorite - and an example of a guy who made it through some really tough luck.  He tried too hard.  I'd much rather have a player on my team doing that than playing like he doesn't care.  I know I'll be rooting for him more than I used to.      

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who does that leave in the organization to play 1B after Davis?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

It was obvious that he would. The ball hit him square on the side of the head straight on. No idea why he wasn’t taken out of the game immediately. 

They really should have taken him out of the game right then.  That bump swoll up immediately - just like if he was in a car accident (I say that because my father got a similar bump recently when his car turned over and his forehead landed directly on the roof of the car.).  It was crazy that in a game that meaningless they left him in.    

• Upvote 1