Who is the worst player on the Orioles?

DirtyBird

7 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'll see your Bobo Holloman and raise you Bumpus Jones.  In 1892, Bumpus Jones pitched a no-hitter for Cincinnati in his major league debut--his only appearance in 1892.  In 1893, he had an ERA of over 10 in 7 games.  That was it for his career.  

I knew there was a guy like that from the 1890s but his name escaped me, so I went with Holloman.  Certainly Jones was pitching in a much less mature league, and if you took him out of his time and stuck him in today he'd have a hard time getting out of short season ball.

Holloman was a 30-year-old rookie who'd allowed 39 runs in 55 innings for AAA Toronto the same year his threw his no-hitter.  And he was pretty much done - he only threw 20 games in his pro career after that, split between five teams in '54.  Holloman had thrown four MLB games in relief prior to his first start/no-hitter, giving up 13 baserunners and five runs in 5.1 innings.  Jones gets the title, but Holloman's game was exceptionally unlikely.  

@Three Run Homer, did you know that Bumpus Jones was 24-3, 0.93 in 242 innings in the Illinois-Iowa league the year of his MLB debut and no-hitter?  The records are kind of sketchy, and he allowed 65 unearned runs (compared to 25 earned) but he was apparently pretty good in a primitive minor league in the 1890s.  He led the IIL in wins by seven, and had 10 shutouts, more than any two other players combined.  A lot of people in that league had ERAs in the 1.00s or even lower, because it looks like ~75% of all runs were unearned.

After his unsuccessful stint in the majors he went to the Western League where he had some crazy numbers, like 373 runs (160 earned) in 318 innings in '95, and ws 26-15 in '98.

I just thought that was interesting.  Lots of old players with ugly MLB numbers get a little more fleshed out when you look at their full careers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 7:34 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

@Three Run Homer, did you know that Bumpus Jones was 24-3, 0.93 in 242 innings in the Illinois-Iowa league the year of his MLB debut and no-hitter?  The records are kind of sketchy, and he allowed 65 unearned runs (compared to 25 earned) but he was apparently pretty good in a primitive minor league in the 1890s.  He led the IIL in wins by seven, and had 10 shutouts, more than any two other players combined.  A lot of people in that league had ERAs in the 1.00s or even lower, because it looks like ~75% of all runs were unearned.

After his unsuccessful stint in the majors he went to the Western League where he had some crazy numbers, like 373 runs (160 earned) in 318 innings in '95, and ws 26-15 in '98.

I just thought that was interesting.  Lots of old players with ugly MLB numbers get a little more fleshed out when you look at their full careers.

Maybe to make baseball more interesting they should deaden the ball but make the fielders go back to wearing the gloves they wore in the 1890’s.    Those ratios of earned to unearned runs you cited are pretty astounding.    

I’ve noticed that the DSL is a bit like that.    Nearly a quarter of all the runs are unearned.     

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Maybe to make baseball more interesting they should deaden the ball but make the fielders go back to wearing the gloves they wore in the 1890’s.    Those ratios of earned to unearned runs you cited are pretty astounding.    

I’ve noticed that the DSL is a bit like that.    Nearly a quarter of all the runs are unearned.     

It would be funny to listen in to a conversation between a modern player and Jerry Denny.  Denny refused to wear a glove his whole career, through 1894.  Was apparently the last position player to do so, partly because he was a little ambidextrous and would sometimes catch or throw the ball with whichever hand was most convenient. 

If you look at early baseball there were few walks, very few homers or even extra base hits in general, but they scored a ton of runs.  In 1882 the NL OPS was .622, or about 140 points lower than today.  But they scored 5.4 runs per game, more than half a run more than today.  Because of almost five errors a game, and most likely any number of plays ruled hits (or nothing at all on foul balls) that we'd score errors today with gloves and well-manicured fields.  And almost two PB+WP per game.  And a double play once every two games.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It would be funny to listen in to a conversation between a modern player and Jerry Denny. Denny refused to wear a glove his whole career, through 1894. He was apparently the last position-player to do so, partly because he was a little ambidextrous and would sometimes catch or throw the ball with whichever hand was most convenient. 

If you look at early baseball there were few walks, very few homers or even extra base hits in general, but they scored a ton of runs. In 1882 the NL OPS was .622, or about 140 points lower than today. But they scored 5.4 runs per game, more than half a run more than today. Because of almost five errors a game, and most likely any number of plays ruled hits (or nothing at all on foul balls) that we'd score errors today with gloves and well-manicured fields. And almost two PB+WP per game. And a double play once every two games.

o

This is the late Garo Yepremian.

He was the last NFL player not to wear a face-mask, in the 1966 and 1967 seasons.

Image result for Yepremian no face mask helmet

After being out of the NFL for 2 seasons in 1968 and 1969, he donned a single-bar face-mask when he was signed by the Dolphins prior to the 1970 season.

Image result for Garo Yepremian 1977 Dolphins

o

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It would be funny to listen in to a conversation between a modern player and Jerry Denny.  Denny refused to wear a glove his whole career, through 1894.  Was apparently the last position player to do so, partly because he was a little ambidextrous and would sometimes catch or throw the ball with whichever hand was most convenient. 

If you look at early baseball there were few walks, very few homers or even extra base hits in general, but they scored a ton of runs.  In 1882 the NL OPS was .622, or about 140 points lower than today.  But they scored 5.4 runs per game, more than half a run more than today.  Because of almost five errors a game, and most likely any number of plays ruled hits (or nothing at all on foul balls) that we'd score errors today with gloves and well-manicured fields.  And almost two PB+WP per game.  And a double play once every two games.

Sounds like the opposite of today's game.

Or like the game played by the 8-9 year old league at your local park (other than the lack of walks).

53 minutes ago, TGO said:

Sounds like the opposite of today's game.

Or like the game played by the 8-9 year old league at your local park (other than the lack of walks).

Yes, when my kids were playing 7, 8, maybe 9-year-old Little League I sometimes posted things to that effect here.  I once witnessed a game my oldest son played where there was one hit between the two teams, and the final was something like 15-12.  That game didn't even have errors - it was just a painful two-hour sequence of walks, HBP, passed balls, and wild pitches. 

In 1871 there were more than 10 runs/team/game, but a league OPS under .700 and a homer once every five games.

2 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

This is the late Garo Yepremian.

He was the last NFL player not to wear a face-mask, in the 1966 and 1967 seasons.

Image result for Yepremian no face mask helmet

After being out of the NFL for 2 seasons in 1968 and 1969, he donned a single-bar face-mask when he was signed by the Dolphins prior to the 1970 season.

Image result for Garo Yepremian 1977 Dolphins

o

Not only a kicker but a decent passer as well. Touchdown pass in the superbowl.

If you look at how inaccurate kickers were then compared to now you will be amazed.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

Not only a kicker, but a decent passer as well. Touchdown pass in the Super Bowl.

If you look at how inaccurate kickers were then compared to now, you will be amazed.

o

It was actually pick-6 to give the Redskins their only touchdown of the game, in one of the comedic moments in Super Bowl history.

o

43 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Alright, @DrungoHazewood, worst player in Orioles history, who is it?  

From 1954 onwards.  Don't wanna hear any malarky about some guy that played for the 1896 Orioles of the Federal League who batted .118.

And, obviously, have to have a steady amount of at bats and playing time.  Use your discretion. 

To me it is Mark Reynolds.  Struck out all the time and botched play after play in the field. I dont think WAR is accurate in his case.  No coincidence that soon as they took him off third the team started winning.

10 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

It was actually pick-6 to give the Redskins their only touchdown of the game, in one of the comedic moments in Super Bowl history.

o

When I was a kid I thought my mom could play in the NFL as she was same height as Garo.  I think he was the first soccer style kicker in NFL.