BJ Surhoff Is Angry

TonySoprano

I think the Royals proved that they were not just a "hot" team when they made it back to the WS the next year and won it. They were the best team in the AL two years in a row and it wasn't a fluke or just a hot team. The Orioles had the lead for only 2.5 innings that whole four game series. We scored 10 runs in the first two games and allowed 14 runs. Every time we tied the game, we couldn't get the big hit to take the lead and the pitching gave the lead back. They had us playing catch-up the whole series. They outplayed us.

Moose, that is a perfect response. No doubt, feelings will get hurt when making changes. But, baseball is a Business last time I checked. Connolly is highlighting the whole problem with all these articles: too many artifacts from the old regime were clogging up the machine. Whether he realizes that or not, who knows. But, corporate America is all about evolving with the times.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Moose, that is a perfect response. No doubt, feelings will get hurt when making changes. But, baseball is a Business last time I checked. Connolly is highlighting the whole problem with all these articles: too many artifacts from the old regime were clogging up the machine. Whether he realizes that or not, who knows. But, corporate America is all about evolving with the times.

Well, thanks.  

No one wants to be labeled a kiss ass, brown noser in life.  No one likes being that guy...but sometimes, you've gotta be that guy no matter how great you've been at your job, no matter how many awards you've won, no matter how many years you've grinded it out...because unless you are the BSD who's writing the checks, calling the shots, making the decisions on how the company is going to move forward...well, you can most likely be replaced.  Surhoff comes across as thinking his part time, roving instructor position was irreplaceable, his haughtiness in this article is kind of appalling.  

Sometimes you gotta buddy up with the new boss, sometimes you gotta be mocked and laughed at by your co-workers and have them call you a brown noser behind your back because...well, they're not doing it and can't put their egos aside.  And you've gotta play the game to show people that you provide value and do a good job so if all things between you and your co-workers are equal on the day some layoffs need to be made you get to keep your job while they're sent packing.  Meanwhile, they're STILL calling you a brown noser, suck up, kiss ass, etc and acting like they're owed something.  Did anyone mention that this article says that Brady Anderson still has a job?

The bitch of it is that Surhoff was probably pretty solid at what he did.  I bet there was nothing wrong with the instruction that Surhoff provided players.  You say too many artifacts clogging up the machine and while I don't disagree with that idea...a roving instructor can't really clog up the machine.  He shouldn't be able to get in the way of player development in the way that a minor league pitching coach or a minor league manager could get in the way.  I imagine that on the totem pole of a baseball organization's coaching staff, a roving instructor has to be near the very bottom.  And therefore easily let go NO MATTER HOW GOOD they are.  

You are right, corporate America is about evolving with the times.  Sometimes those evolutions come gradually, sometimes they're very small.  Sometimes they're big and jarring and people freak out because we're creatures of habit and don't like it when our way of doing something is tampered with or overhauled.  Surhoff's failure to evolve with the times, IMO,  didn't come from his instruction on how to hit a baseball or an inability to grasp newfangled analytics...it came from his inability to communicate effectively what he did and how he added value.

• Upvote 3

I think it's a terrible article.  And I think Connolly is catching BJ at a bad time and saying things most anyone would feel in losing a job.  But why?  Why work the angle that ME is the problem here?  Because he came in to do a total rebuild and is doing some demolition work?  IF any employee has been with the Orioles over the last year and did not speak to Mike Elias...well they should pretty well expect that their time is drawing near.   Mike called BJ on the phone.  I just can't get worked up over this.

But it is the third or fourth time Ive read Connolly writing about this in a negative fashion.  I'm sure he gets information from some who are now gone, but I'm really having a hard time seeing this as not going after Elias.  And it just does not make sense to me that a guy brought in to do a total rebuild should be expected...to do a rebuild.  I'm especially curious if Connolly knows all of these folks so intimately, why we did not hear more details on the dysfunction of the Orioles during the time of Buck/Brady/DD.

It seems personal, pointed and well...unprofessional.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, milbest77 said:

It is not normal in corporate America to fire and replace so many people.  When I wanted someone fired the person had to be given dozens of written warnings and very long drawn out process for someone that was only there a few months. To fire someone that had been there for years they would have to have done gross misconduct.  Punched someone or sexual harrassment. 

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

It is not normal in corporate America to fire and replace so many people.  When I wanted someone fired the person had to be given dozens of written warnings and very long drawn out process for someone that was only there a few months. To fire someone that had been there for years they would have to have done gross misconduct.  Punched someone or sexual harrassment. 

Why is someone downvoting facts?  

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

Just now, atomic said:

Because it isn't facts.  Theese folks are not being fired, their contracts are not being renewed.  Totally different animal.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, milbest77 said:

I subscribe to the Athletic and Connolly, while a very good writer, seems to have had some kind of axe to grind since all these personnel changes were announced. This is like the 2nd or 3rd article he’s had in the past month where he laments the personnel changes being made. What did he expect? A new broom sweeps clean...

Third and I completely agree with your post.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, atomic said:

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because it isn't facts.  Theese folks are not being fired, their contracts are not being renewed.  Totally different animal.

Not to mention your corporate experience means jack squat when it comes to a professional sports organization. Not even remotely comparable.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Not to mention your corporate experience means jack squat when it comes to a professional sports organization. Not even remotely comparable.

I am responding to someone who said this is how corporate America works.  It doesnt work that way.   If they said this is how sports teams work I wouldn't have replied.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They were fired if they were team employees who had benefits like social security paid by the Orioles and health benefits.  If they were independent contractors with no benefits than they weren't fired.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

I think it's a terrible article.  And I think Connolly is catching BJ at a bad time and saying things most anyone would feel in losing a job.  But why?  Why work the angle that ME is the problem here?  Because he came in to do a total rebuild and is doing some demolition work?  IF any employee has been with the Orioles over the last year and did not speak to Mike Elias...well they should pretty well expect that their time is drawing near.   Mike called BJ on the phone.  I just can't get worked up over this.

But it is the third or fourth time Ive read Connolly writing about this in a negative fashion.  I'm sure he gets information from some who are now gone, but I'm really having a hard time seeing this as not going after Elias.  And it just does not make sense to me that a guy brought in to do a total rebuild should be expected...to do a rebuild.  I'm especially curious if Connolly knows all of these folks so intimately, why we did not hear more details on the dysfunction of the Orioles during the time of Buck/Brady/DD.

It seems personal, pointed and well...unprofessional.

I don't necessarily disagree with your take....but it's late September, the Orioles have been out of it since...well, April.  There's not a whole lot of newsworthy items right now, it's kind of boring and quiet.  I mean, if you're Connolly, what else do you have to write about right now?  And look, he's gotta get clicks.  Unfortunately that's how he keeps his job today.  So he writes a column about a bitter ex-Oriole getting canned and...look, we're all talking about it here.  

Let's say hypothetically Brady gets canned next week.  Does Connolly NOT reach out to him for his side of the story, to get angry quotes?  Does he NOT write another column exactly like this one?  Do we NOT start another thread about the Brady Saga and how it's ended?  All of those things would have to happen.  Connolly wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't report it.

He can "go after" Elias all he wants, it's a fool's errand. You are right, though...what did people expect?  Looking back on it, maybe people expected Elias to clean house last December.  Maybe these people were lulled into some false sense of security and thought that if they'd made it this far, that Elias would keep them on and didn't see it coming.  

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your take....but it's late September, the Orioles have been out of it since...well, April.  There's not a whole lot of newsworthy items right now, it's kind of boring and quiet.  I mean, if you're Connolly, what else do you have to write about right now?  And look, he's gotta get clicks.  Unfortunately that's how he keeps his job today.  So he writes a column about a bitter ex-Oriole getting canned and...look, we're all talking about it here.  

Let's say hypothetically Brady gets canned next week.  Does Connolly NOT reach out to him for his side of the story, to get angry quotes?  Does he NOT write another column exactly like this one?  Do we NOT start another thread about the Brady Saga and how it's ended?  All of those things would have to happen.  Connolly wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't report it.

He can "go after" Elias all he wants, it's a fool's errand. You are right, though...what did people expect?  Looking back on it, maybe people expected Elias to clean house last December.  Maybe these people were lulled into some false sense of security and thought that if they'd made it this far, that Elias would keep them on and didn't see it coming.  

BJ Surhoff made over 30 million and Brady over 40 million in their careers.  IMHO we shouldn't be feeling sorry for them.  But I do feel bad for the guys getting up there in years who never were big league ballplayers with huge salaries.  Those guys are probably keeping quiet so they dont make any waves th ast keeps them from latching on with another team. I hope they get some sort of severance package.