Orioles Free Agents

Legend_Of_Joey

2 hours ago, weams said:

The pitchers don't seem a fit because the O's need to add starters/long relievers and none of these pitchers are.

Cowart is kind of interesting as a minor leaguer with an invite to ST.   O's looking for a 3B that can hit lefties.  Cowart did that for Salt Lake,   has not done it in the majors.   Thus the minor league contract.   No rush.  See what else is out there.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Quick assessment

Del Pozo is 27, LHP who averages 94-95 with the fastball, but it is flat and straight and didn't play well in a short MLB debut. Curveball is a solid out pitch but he'll need a wrinkle on the fastball (a 2S or change to spin axis) to be a useful MLB guy. Relatively young, controllable lefty velocity isn't nothing though.

Cowart, 27, failed position player, converting to the mound, apparently has t98, but hasn't had any success, project if anything. 

Garcia is 32 and doesn't have much control left so probably isn't a fit with the Orioles, but he is an interesting bounce-back guy in general. He still averages 97mph on his tailing fastball and has a solid slider and split. The only difference between him being an effective reliever and his poor 2019 is location, leaving too many pitches in the middle of the plate. 

Tropeano, 29, blah stuff

Bour 31, limited control, 1B only, but he can hit a little bit, would be useful 1B/DH depth on a team that needs it (not the Orioles)

How about Seattle? They let Ryan Healy go. He’s a position player, but I liked watching him play.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

Aside from Harvey, damn little. And if Harvey can’t stay healthy, maybe not him either.

Fair enough. Haha. Harvey is different than the rest but Scott should be better than he’s been. He needs to put it together. Kline is a smart dude, If he fails it won’t be because of lack of making adjustments. 

I know it’s a FA thread, but any news about our guys playing in winter leagues?

Edited by sportsfan8703

I expect to get roasted for this, but Schoop is still just 28. He had a below average year this past year but would provide a veteran presence while giving the orioles an option to flip him again if he performs well. If we keep Villar and Alberto, it's hard to see him fit in that infield, but if the orioles don't pick up both of these guys next year, Schoop could be a stop gap.

5 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

I expect to get roasted for this, but Schoop is still just 28. He had a below average year this past year but would provide a veteran presence while giving the orioles an option to flip him again if he performs well. If we keep Villar and Alberto, it's hard to see him fit in that infield, but if the orioles don't pick up both of these guys next year, Schoop could be a stop gap.

I like Schoop well enough but he's only ever really had one good year.  I don't think he's going to be worth more than salary relief at the deadline.

I don't see the point of trying to bring him back.

6 hours ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Can't see that even if say Villar is traded. Have to imagine Schoop can do better than the AAV and years that Baltimore will be willing to offer. Probably more than one team that will offer him 2 years and more money. Also, much like Villar this year, the market probably doesn't buy into him to give up a good haul for even if he hits well.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:06 AM, Philip said:

How about Seattle? They let Ryan Healy go. He’s a position player, but I liked watching him play.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/mariners-outright-ryon-healy-connor-sadzeck-chasen-bradford.html

Healy is dealing with quite significant health problems, including a diagnosis of spinal stenosis and ensuing hip surgery. It’s not clear at this point whether and when the 27-year-old will be able to resume his career. Healy projected to earn $2.5MM via arbitration, a hefty sum given the uncertainty. He’ll have the right to elect free agency by virtue of his MLB service time.

As noted in the comments, spinal stenosis ended David Wright’s hall of fame career prematurely.