Jealous

Frobby

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   

• Upvote 1

I vividly remember 1983 but I was only 8. As great as it was you can’t possibly appreciate it as much as you should. 

I am not jealous of winning a Game 7. I just want that feeling I had as a little boy. It would mean so much to so many people. I have been lucky to have seen two Ravens titles but the Orioles will always be my team, always. 

This is a great sport and the Orioles have a proud history. No reason history can’t repeat itself. 

And... no offense Frobby but when we get there and we will, I don’t want a 7 game series. My nerves could not take it.  

• Upvote 1

I’m extremely jealous on a ton of levels.

one of the hardest things about the Nats arrival (and their success), is that most of my baseball friends have completely migrated to become Nats fans.  They’ve been dishing it out this post season... I sure wish the O’s were saddled-up with the Nats good fortunes!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

They did it the cheap, everyone deserves a trophy way by winning the stupid wild card game to even get into the playoffs.

At least the Orioles were in first place in large divisions winning their titles.

The wild card sucks but that stupid game needs to be trashed ASAP

The number of World Series trophies hasn't changed.

And if you remove the wild card, you also increase the chance of the same teams--mainly big market teams-- winning repeatedly.

• Upvote 1

I feel happy for them because I do know there are people who are legitimate Nats fans who never felt the Orioles were their team in DC or Northern Va.  A lot of them are my extended family members who also give me a lot of grief for staying with the O's. But I know a lot of them like my older cousins and uncles also had no team in DC from 71-05 so they sort of were forced to adopt the O's out of necessity. But at the same time, I felt they never got why someone like me couldn't just switch to the Nats in 2005. But at the same time i do feel a little bitter and jealous because I've never seen an Orioles WS winner before or even a pennant. I'm 32 and have seen only three LCS's featuring our guys. I'm happy what Elias is doing with the franchise and I think we can be a top franchise again but it hurts a little because I've also seen first hand how fickle Nats fans can be. I don't begrudge them that. All fanbases are fickle but I'm sure there were many of them that were ready to throw in the towel after Game 5 and as someone who has stuck with the O's after more losing seasons than winning ones, that kind of ticks me.

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The number of World Series trophies hasn't changed.

And if you remove the wild card, you also increase the chance of the same teams--mainly big market teams-- winning repeatedly.

The magic of the baseball post season remains that anything can happen. One of my favorite non Orioles WS winners of all time is the 1960 Pirates. They were going up against the team of the 1950's in the Yankees and they got wiped out in 3 of those 7 games but they hung in and won four games and thus the WS when Maz hit that home run.  Plus the 2012 Orioles which started a short renaissance of competitive Orioles baseball was a WC team that gave the division winning Yankees all they had for five games. I don't know what would have happened in the 2012 ALCS had we advanced there but anything can happen in short series. Good as O's fans know from '66, bad as in '69, and ugly in '14 against the Royals.

22 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I feel happy for them because I do know there are people who are legitimate Nats fans who never felt the Orioles were their team in DC or Northern Va.  A lot of them are my extended family members who also give me a lot of grief for staying with the O's. But I know a lot of them like my older cousins and uncles also had no team in DC from 71-05 so they sort of were forced to adopt the O's out of necessity. But at the same time, I felt they never got why someone like me couldn't just switch to the Nats in 2005. But at the same time i do feel a little bitter and jealous because I've never seen an Orioles WS winner before or even a pennant. I'm 32 and have seen only three LCS's featuring our guys. I'm happy what Elias is doing with the franchise and I think we can be a top franchise again but it hurts a little because I've also seen first hand how fickle Nats fans can be. I don't begrudge them that. All fanbases are fickle but I'm sure there were many of them that were ready to throw in the towel after Game 5 and as someone who has stuck with the O's after more losing seasons than winning ones, that kind of ticks me.

And for those fans who never felt that they had a team in Baltimore, or the fans who started rooting for them because of their proximity to DC since day one, I don't fault them at all.  

However, there is a large portion of their fan base that I feel hates the Orioles more than they like the Nats.  I go to quite a few Nationals games- all of the bobblehead ones, as well as at least one of the Orioles series games in DC.  I usually post up in the outfield.  You hear muffled "O's!" for the national anthem, and the same guys who are season ticket holders make the same comments that it's "DC not Baltimore" and they make sarcastic comments about the Orioles score when it's on the screen.  

Then, you've got the guys who think it's a business meeting and not a baseball game.  My Orioles season tickets are in section 56, and I've gotten to know Marc (the lemonade shaking guy) over the years.  I've sat in his section at Nationals Park before, and he subdues his schtick (or cuts it entirely) based on the fans there.  He's had constant complaints that he's "too loud" or "distracting."  And if you've ever sat in sections 54-60, you know Marc is anything but.  Everyone who I've taken with me loves to see him.  

On some of the games I went to this past season, 35,000-plus showing up for a bobblehead game, their crowd noise during most of the game was about the same as our 14-18,000 that we would draw for a fireworks night.  

It's just a really weird fanbase if I'm being honest.  If you've ever been to a Capitals game, the stadium is rocking and nothing at all like going to a Nats game.  

2 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

And for those fans who never felt that they had a team in Baltimore, or the fans who started rooting for them because of their proximity to DC since day one, I don't fault them at all.  

However, there is a large portion of their fan base that I feel hates the Orioles more than they like the Nats.  I go to quite a few Nationals games- all of the bobblehead ones, as well as at least one of the Orioles series games in DC.  I usually post up in the outfield.  You hear muffled "O's!" for the national anthem, and the same guys who are season ticket holders make the same comments that it's "DC not Baltimore" and they make sarcastic comments about the Orioles score when it's on the screen.  

Then, you've got the guys who think it's a business meeting and not a baseball game.  My Orioles season tickets are in section 56, and I've gotten to know Marc (the lemonade shaking guy) over the years.  I've sat in his section at Nationals Park before, and he subdues his schtick (or cuts it entirely) based on the fans there.  He's had constant complaints that he's "too loud" or "distracting."  And if you've ever sat in sections 54-60, you know Marc is anything but.  Everyone who I've taken with me loves to see him.  

On some of the games I went to this past season, 35,000-plus showing up for a bobblehead game, their crowd noise during most of the game was about the same as our 14-18,000 that we would draw for a fireworks night.  

It's just a really weird fanbase if I'm being honest.  If you've ever been to a Capitals game, the stadium is rocking and nothing at all like going to a Nats game.  

I think you get at what I'm feeling. I totally get people who did what you talk about the beginning but there are definitely people who have this animosity towards the O's and our fans. I told my Uncle when he was ribbing me one day that I felt like he was treating me like I was a Yankees fan. I pointed out to him that for me unlike him that baseball in DC was long gone by the time I was born. Plus I really got tired of the Washington Post sports section always needing to make digs at the O's. Tom Boswell is a great sportswriter and I won't insult him by saying he's not good at that but he always had to make digs at the O's when our two teams' fortunes were rising at the same time. It didn't help that I never liked Bryce Harper and Nats fans wanted to act like he was the greatest ever and now they're acting like they never liked him. You are right though. It's a completely different atmosphere even when there are more people at Nats Park than Camden Yards. 

• Upvote 1

The Nationals cut a huge chunk into the Orioles fan base, have much better ownership, a much higher budget, and now a world series championship. It's hard not to be disappointed. 

Very parallel to the Ravens coming into the area and becoming a successful franchise quickly while the once top tier team (Redskins) struggles under terrible leadership.

Not jealous one bit.  When you win 47 games one year and 54 games the next and with the team making no effort to get better it is hard to care about being jealous of a World Series champion.  I would be ecstatic with a 82 win season at this point, 

I am glad the Nationals won.  Sick of hearing about the Astros.  

1 hour ago, orpheus100 said:

They did it the cheap, everyone deserves a trophy way by winning the stupid wild card game to even get into the playoffs.

At least the Orioles were in first place in large divisions winning their titles.

If everyone got a trophy the Orioles would have a trophy this year along with the Tigers and there wouldn’t even be playoffs.  

3 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

The Nats would ha e gone straight to the Dodgers series without the wild card game.  Unless you are talking about going back to two divisions per league?

Did you not tune in to Orioles postseason in 2012 and 2016 because they were the second wild card and didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs?

Edited by GuidoSarducci

4 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I’ve kind of heard this talk in general. Not surprised to hear this. 

I’m curious how they play next year. Couple of important FA’s, Rendon/Stras. Sometimes when pitchers are used like they were in the postseason they don’t bounce back the next year. Their big 4 rotation will all be 30 and up. 

The core of their team is Soto, Turner and Robles. Soto is a beast. Obviously if Rendon stays that is huge. Rest of team is aging. They need a Kieboom to hit in order to sustain their success.  

I bring all that up in reference to their fan base. Obviously with the Orioles even if this plan pans out, will not be good the next couple of years. Had the Nats broke through say in 2014 it may of not had the same impact with fans. It’s bad timing for the Orioles this moment.

Maybe by the time we are ready to win the Nats will be slipping. Things can change over a couple of years. As good as Rizzo is he has a ton of work to sustain it. 5/8 playoffs and now a title is a great run. I do see some 83 Orioles similarities. Aging in spots and not a good system. They will continue to need the next couple of years for their stars to carry them like they did in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

The Nationals cut a huge chunk into the Orioles fan base, have much better ownership, a much higher budget, and now a world series championship. It's hard not to be disappointed. 

Very parallel to the Ravens coming into the area and becoming a successful franchise quickly while the once top tier team (Redskins) struggles under terrible leadership.

It is a good parallel. Established, once proud fanbases and the new teams are the superior franchises. 

The one thing is I feel very good about our team all being on the same page. Ownership/FO working well together. The Redskins are still a huge mess. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Not jealous one bit.  When you win 47 games one year and 54 games the next and with the team making no effort to get better it is hard to care about being jealous of a World Series champion.  I would be ecstatic with a 82 win season at this point, 

I am glad the Nationals won.  Sick of hearing about the Astros.  

Nats don’t draft Strasburg and Rendon if they win 82 games those years. That stretch of Nats baseball seems to be conveniently forgotten by some.  

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   

I'm not jealous at all.  The Nats are some other team that isn't the Orioles.  That team wins the World Series pretty much every year.

I'm sure I'll be slightly annoyed now that there are 75,000 times as many Nats "fans" as there were two weeks ago.  But that will pass.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1