Trade Bait 2020

ScGO's

So the Liberatore trade,  any inferences that we can make from that trade regarding Mancini’s trade value and the value of that 2020 comp pick swap?  Liberatore has been pretty much ranked dead even/slightly above GrayRod since they were drafted.

Would you trade MancinI/comp A for Liberatore/comp B?  

Also, the Rays now have to create two spots on their 40 man to add the two players they acquired. That could be a nice spot for a little trade for a team. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So the Liberatore trade,  any inferences that we can make from that trade regarding Mancini’s trade value and the value of that 2020 comp pick swap?  Liberatore has been pretty much ranked dead even/slightly above GrayRod since they were drafted.

Would you trade MancinI/comp A for Liberatore/comp B?  

Also, the Rays now have to create two spots on their 40 man to add the two players they acquired. That could be a nice spot for a little trade for a team. 

I think St. Louis made a helluva trade.   I probably would not trade Mancini for Liberatore.  A 135 OPS+ bat controlled through 2022 is worth a lot. 

On 12/31/2019 at 8:49 PM, Scalious said:

Is there any reason for the Yankees to believe Mancini is much of an upgrade over Voit? 

Rays are always dumpster diving when it comes to finding 1B options. Sure, they would take Mancini off the O's hands. Only if they are not giving up much value.

Rangers or Blue Jays seem like the best fit ATM. Problem is neither of them are "all in". Blue Jays took a flier on Shaw.

Mancini could represent an upgrade for teams. It's marginalize by lower opportunity cost. Doesn't help that he has not put together back to back solid seasons. Might have better luck later in the year when injuries start happening.

Yankees - I don't think they'd view Mancini as an upgrade over Voit.

Blue Jays - They might be an option at the trade deadline, if Shaw turns out to be a bust and they're still in contention. 

Rangers - They might be a fit, but they've been pretty active on the trade front this off season. My guess is they've already played their hand. 

51 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think St. Louis made a helluva trade.   I probably would not trade Mancini for Liberatore.  A 135 OPS+ bat controlled through 2022 is worth a lot. 

Agreed. That trade was a real head scratcher to me since the Rays typically don't make bad trades. I know they really needed an upgrade at DH/1B, but it seemed like a real overpay for a 30+ glorified DH. When I first heard the trade rumors I assumed Bader or O'Neil were in the mix. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Also, Libertore and some secondary pieces would have definitely been enough for me to part with Mancini. Liberatore is a REALLY good pitching prospect. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

You also have to consider that the Rays have a 40 man roster crunch constantly because of there deep system.  So maybe they sold a little low on Liberatore and the Catching prospect, but they got back two players that can help them win now, they moved up 30 spots in the draft, and they gained some future 40 man flexibility by trading away two prospects.  

I would've done Mancini for Liberatore straight up.  My reasoning being that Mancini's value in 2020-2022 isn't worth what Liberatore would offer the club in 2022-2029.  Mancini is a 135 OPS+ bat on 2-3 100 loss seasons through 2022.  Liberatore would be a potential mid rotation SP for 6+ years when our next competitive run would likely be.  

• Like 1

I think it is cartwheels and backflips if Mancini could have gotten Liberatore.  I suppose Grayson Rodriguez separated himself some from Liberatore in 2019, but they both have glowing scouting reports, similar draft status and were good in the Midwest League the year after they were in high school.  I like Mancini, but I'd pretty happily do that.   I now feel about Randy Arozarena something similar to Corey Kluber, like an MLB club has told me something slightly unexpected about a player.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Agreed. That trade was a real head scratcher to me since the Rays typically don't make bad trades. I know they really needed an upgrade at DH/1B, but it seemed like a real overpay for a 30+ glorified DH. When I first heard the trade rumors I assumed Bader or O'Neil were in the mix. I guess we'll have to see how it plays out. Also, Libertore and some secondary pieces would have definitely been enough for me to part with Mancini. Liberatore is a REALLY good pitching prospect. 

Maybe the Rays know something we don't know.

36 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Maybe the Rays know something we don't know.

I think the draft pick swap is underrated as well, especially the increased bonus pool.  

The Rays look like they are going to platoon the heck outta next year.  This is a pretty good time for the O's to be down.  TB is a playoff team.  The Yankees had the highest scoring offense in baseball.  Bos is always hanging around.  Tor has good young position players and they picked up some players.  The AL East is just so tough.  

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You also have to consider that the Rays have a 40 man roster crunch constantly because of there deep system.  So maybe they sold a little low on Liberatore and the Catching prospect, but they got back two players that can help them win now, they moved up 30 spots in the draft, and they gained some future 40 man flexibility by trading away two prospects.  

I would've done Mancini for Liberatore straight up.  My reasoning being that Mancini's value in 2020-2022 isn't worth what Liberatore would offer the club in 2022-2029.  Mancini is a 135 OPS+ bat on 2-3 100 loss seasons through 2022.  Liberatore would be a potential mid rotation SP for 6+ years when our next competitive run would likely be.  

Good points.  In fact, you've changed my mind.  I'd make that trade.  

• 4 months later...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/05/the-os-intriguing-short-season-trade-chip.html

Discusses Mychael Givens as a trade chip.  As the season opens up, who could be potentially flipped?  Mancini is no longer on the market, but there should be a few that could peak someone's interest if they perform well out the gate.  Here is every one that could make the team that is going to be a free agent or has two or more service years under their belt and could potentially be flipped.

Givens could net a great return if he is on fire out the box.  He might even be traded before the season starts.

Jose Iglesias could be flipped if a contender is desperate for a SS; as long as he is hitting over .260 with strong defense I suppose.

Hanser Alberto and Pedro Severino could be moved if they perform well again. proving they are consistent player. 

Could Alex Cobb or even Chris Davis salvage any value with strong starts?  If Davis is hitting like he was in Spring Training, it would be interesting to see if anything develops. We'd still have to eat a lot of it, but the contract only has two years after this shortened COVID season.

It would be cool to see a non-roster ST invite like Tommy Milone or Wade LeBlanc, or even a Pat Valaikia create some value for themselves and be flipped for something. Not likely, but you never know.  I mean the O's have traded for the likes of JC Romero, Mike Morse, Nick Hundley, Alejandro De Aza, Kelly Johnson, and an old Jim Thome in the midst of the playoff race, so its not inconceivable to see one of these three generating some interest if they are performing.

In the bullpen, Miguel Castro, Richard Bleier, or even Shawn Armstrong could create some value with strong performances. If Hector Velzquez can pitch like he did in 2018, he might make the team as well. 

Here's hoping for some trades!

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Since the rebuild began, I have been all about trades and adding young talent.  Since the offseason, Elias has traded Villar, Bundy, and now Bleier off of this original list, which I am thrilled by as I see it as progress.

The question now is, do we make any more trades if we are technically in the playoff race?  Personally, I say we go for it in this strange 2020 scenario, as I believe it won't hurt the rebuild and could actually improve a few players trade stock for the 2020/2021 offseason. 

What say you?  Based on service time and value, the following may have value in a trade now, but do we do it if we are in contention?

1) Alex Cobb - Looking really strong as of now.  Has one year left on contract.  If he can keep up his current numbers, we may receive an offer that his hard to refuse.

2) Hanser Alberto - Is he becoming a perennial .300 hitter?  Has two years of control left after this season. 

3) Jose Iglesias - I like the club option for next season, but the way he is playing right now might draw him some interest from a playoff team that needs a SS

4) Pedro Severino - Hitting well with pop; is that enough to hide his terrible D in a trade?  Getting crowded at catcher with Sisco performing, two better D options in Wynns and Holladay, and AR creeping

5) Wade Leblanc / Tommy Millone - Performing fairly well for journeymen. Might draw interest as spot starters or long relief options.

6) Pat Valaika - Pop and some versatility.  Has three years of control left after this season.  Will be 28 in Sept.  Someone might jump on him he continues to hit and they need any extra INF

7) Mychal Givens - Killing it so far, but hasn't had a ton of innings either.  Just turned 30.  Only one more year of control. Could get expensive in arbitration this offseason.

? Miguel Castro - Only two more years of control. I would lock him up now as he is still young and showing great stuff.  If they do trade, better get a haul.

9) Shawn Armstrong - Still 3 years of control after this season, but is 30 years old.  Looking stronger this season.  If he keeps it up, I think someone could bite.

10) Trey Mancini - Obviously not in a position to be traded right now.  However, if he fully recovers, the idea has to be discussed again as only has 2 years of service left after this season.  

• Upvote 1