Congrats to Ryan Flaherty

NCRaven

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

“First rule of quality control: don’t get any players of my quality.”

J/K

Beggin’ Yor pardon, Mr Flaherty was an indispensable member of the ‘14 playoff team.

I wish him very well. I cannot look at the good things he did with us, and his diminutive career WAR, and reconcile the two. I’m only glad we had him, and I hope he is successful with the San Diegoans. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Beggin’ Yor pardon, Mr Flaherty was an indispensable member of the ‘14 playoff team.

I wish him very well. I cannot look at the good things he did with us, and his diminutive career WAR, and reconcile the two. I’m only glad we had him, and I hope he is successful with the San Diegoans. 

The 2014 team won the East by 12 games.  They could have dispensed with Flaherty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Philip said:

Beggin’ Yor pardon, Mr Flaherty was a member of the ‘14 playoff team.

FTFY.  ?

7 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I can see Flaherty exceeding at this role. He had to maximize his usefulness in his role as the utility player and usually 25th man on the roster. 

Manny probably put in a good word for him too. 

Manny is definitely getting his guys in SD. I feel like this is a good way for Flaherty to apprentice under Dickerson too. 

I think we’re going to see a lot of players from those Buck years to give coaching a try. Trumbo, Weiters, Pearce, and Hardy immediately come to mind. 

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I know what a quality control person does in some other fields.  What does a baseball QC coach do?  Are the Padres going to get an ISO or CMMI certification?

Not sure what they do in baseball. College and pro football programs and the like often have a couple of coaches with that label. Many seem to watch film and scout future opponents. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Good for Flaherty. He probably didn't have the career Chicago hoped for when they drafted him late in the first round, but he accumulated almost 1500 plate appearances and made a hefty pile of cash. Hope he has a long and productive coaching career. 

Of the 57 second basemen, third basemen and shortstops signed in the first ten rounds of the 2008 MLB draft, only 12 players had more at-bats in their career than Flaherty and 7 of those were drafted before Flaherty.

Of the 19 players drafted directly before him who signed, only 4 had more than Flaherty's 0.6 rWAR over their career. It was a pretty terrible draft, and he wasn't exactly a draft bust.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Of the 57 second basemen, third basemen and shortstops signed in the first ten rounds of the 2008 MLB draft, only 12 players had more at-bats in their career than Flaherty and 7 of those were drafted before Flaherty.

Of the 19 players drafted directly before him who signed, only 4 had more than Flaherty's 0.6 rWAR over their career. It was a pretty terrible draft, and he wasn't exactly a draft bust.

Another way to look at it: of the 55 players chosen 41st in the draft, Flaherty ranks 13th in rWAR.   Not a bad outcome at all.

Looking at the list, I stumbled on this interesting factoid:   Lance McCullers, Jr. ranks 5th in rWAR of all no. 41 picks.    His father, Lance McCullers Sr., also was chosen 41st and ranks 6th.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?overall_pick=41&draft_type=junreg&query_type=overall_pick&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Another way to look at it: of the 55 players chosen 41st in the draft, Flaherty ranks 13th in rWAR.   Not a bad outcome at all.

Looking at the list, I stumbled on this interesting factoid:   Lance McCullers, Jr. ranks 5th in rWAR of all no. 41 picks.    His father, Lance McCullers Sr., also was chosen 41st and ranks 6th.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?overall_pick=41&draft_type=junreg&query_type=overall_pick&from_type_jc=0&from_type_hs=0&from_type_4y=0&from_type_unk=0

Maybe we should draft Lance McCullers III.

• Haha 2

Being in various "quality control" roles in different companies, I can only imagine that a baseball quality control coach is basically the guy who makes sure the system's teachings are universal and accurate. So if they want player X to be learning skill Z from the A play book, the QA coach makes sure this is getting done. So basically someone who audits what the various coaches throughout the system are doing with their players and insuring it's on message with what the team wants.