The Dylan Bundy Appreciation Thread

Frobby

7 hours ago, weams said:

scOtt and I went to Frederick to see his first start there. So much promise. A great press conference. Sorry he was always so hurt. 

He was electric that day! 93-94 on the radar. Guy's in the box said it was several mph slow. Killer curve too. Got a lot of Ks on it.

5 hours ago, jjnono said:

Thanks, Dylan.  I wish there were fewer injuries (and homers), and more wins.  Maybe in LA.

I attended the 4-2 loss against the Dodgers in September, and he pitched well despite a wobbly second inning.  But when Ruiz booted the third out in the sixth, and on the next batter Severino flat out failed to catch strike three of what should have been the third out, Bundy was as done with this team as any pitcher I'd ever seen.  Two runs scored on Severino's passed ball, and Bundy never even moved to cover home.

As the saying goes, he's in a happier place now...

I remember that play. I saw it after on replay and watched it 3 or 4 times. Seve didn't catch it and Dylan walked straight off the mound, straight toward Showalter? Never saw him but it's where he is in the dugout. Dylan walks straight toward him. Very strange play, especially Bundy, who's very good in the field. Very heads up.

My instant memories are the Dodgers game he came out the pen in back in 2014. Bundy flirting with no-no’s in his first two starts against Col and Texas. I went to the Texas game to watch him pitch. 

Just the fact that he overcame TJ, and then is still dealing what some have called the worst shoulder calcification they’ve ever seen, really goes to show how tough the dude is. 

I think Trout is going to like another workout warrior in Bundy. 

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

For some reason, this one really stings for me.     As I said recently, we’ve lived though so many ups and downs with Bundy.    The exhilarating first year in the minors, ending with a cameo in Baltimore at age 19.    The disappointment of the injuries that followed.    Watching him topping out at 98 at times in 2016, seemingly all the way back.    Seeing days when he could barely hit 90.    Watching him unleash his slider after keeping it under wraps earlier in his career.     Seeing him give up an ungodly number of homers in 2018.     All in all, I was really fascinated with the guy.     He was incredibly resourceful in working around his declining velocity, and always so stoic when interviewed, regardless of how he performed.   

Farewell, Dylan.   You’re a guy I will always root hard for.    I hope you have great success with the Angels.   

That ^^^^^. thanks @Frobby.  He was the one guy I still wanted to watch pitch (as I came to be with Means) - seeing how he would gut it out with less than average velocity. His stoicism stood out and I always was impressed how he was one of the guys playing chess during the glory years.  I will definitely miss him!

10 minutes ago, bobmc said:

That ^^^^^. thanks @Frobby.  He was the one guy I still wanted to watch pitch (as I came to be with Means) - seeing how he would gut it out with less than average velocity. His stoicism stood out and I always was impressed how he was one of the guys playing chess during the glory years.  I will definitely miss him!

Frobby and bobmc hit it on the head for me.  On one hand Bundy never reached his ceiling and it must have been somewhat bitter for him as it was for us.  But I cannot help but imagine what could have been.  If he had kept his ace stuff, while being able to play chess as bobmc says....honestly, a tough day.  Dylan, nothing but the best for you sir.  If you ever come to Virginia and want to hunt, hit a country boy up.

• Like 1

Some words of appreciation from Steve Melewski:

“I’ll always have great respect for Bundy for how he carried himself on and off the field, and great appreciation for his massive amount of patience, among many other things. I can’t tell you how many interviews I did with the kid filled with question after question about his surgery and its aftermath. He never once wondered aloud if I could somehow find something, anything else to talk about. He never said no to an interview request.

“Beyond that, I observed a player who was a great teammate. He never once - and he never even came close - threw a teammate or coach under the bus for anything. Never complained about a lack of runs or misplays behind him on defense. He was team-first all the way and all the time.

“He’s a gamer and a real pro. It was a pleasure to be there for all of it. The stunning start when he showed a 98 mph fastball and strong secondaries on the farm. The battles through the surgery. Re-inventing himself briefly in the bullpen and then making it as a big league starter who was durable and dependable and some days very good.

“For me, he is someone always worth rooting for.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/appreciating-dylan-bundy-and-some-quotes-from-the-other-side.html

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, weams said:

D and I were at the Red Sox Stadium in Ft Myers when he demolished the heart of the Sox lineup. 

I have pictures from that game.  I'm incredibly sad about this trade.  I realize that his impact to the organization moving forward is inconsequential.  I just love his personality.  Never minced words.  "Dylan, what happened today?"  "Were you not watching?  I was terrible."

• Upvote 2