Comparing Astros/Orioles.

Philip

I found this tidbit from Fangraphs about the Astros’ minor league philosophy interesting.    I wonder if Elias will follow this approach.

While GM Jeff Lunhow was in St. Louis, the Cardinals began de-emphasizing the signing of minor league free agents, and in Houston, that’s been taken to an extreme. The upper-level players other teams bring in are replaced by overachieving recent draftees who the org pushes up the ladder quickly as a way of stress-testing their skills; once in a while, you end up with Josh Rojasbecause of this. And rival teams who use a model-heavy approach to pro scouting can be misled by this strategy. Player promotion rate is almost certainly a variable in some models, and if not, is a way to flag players for re-evaluation. Houston promotes an artificially high number of their prospects to fill spots unoccupied by the minor league free agents they don’t sign, so this can be more noise than signal at times.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/top-40-prospects-houston-astros/

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't in year one, boy did he not in year one.  I don't recall anyone other than Grenier being aggressively promoted.

Agree he didn’t, but that could change as the system fills up with prospects selected under his watch and the team becomes more competitive.    Something to keep an eye on.    Needless to say, I don’t expect Elias to do everything exactly like Luhnow.  

I guess we will have to define what aggressive promotion means.  Here are some of Elias' in- season promotions last season.

AA or AAA to the majors

Santander,  Stewart, Hays, Harvey, Tate, Kline

AA to AAA

Bannon, Zimmerman, Kremer, Rifaela

A+ to AA

McCoy, Yahn, Klimek, Baumann, Sedlock

A to A+

Neustrom. Dorrian, Fajardo, Thorburn, Grenier,  Peluffo, Nsughton, Matson, Peralta, Knight, Hays, Joyner

24 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I guess we will have to define what aggressive promotion means.  Here are some of Elias' in- season promotions last season.

AA or AAA to the majors

AA to AAA

A+ to AA

A to A+

Neustrom. Dorrian, Fajardo, Thorburn, Grenier,  Peluffo, Nsughton, Matson, Peralta, Knight, Hays, Joyner

Actually I felt like Hays was pretty aggressive considering the time he missed and the iffy stats he was putting up at AAA. They didn't really need to call him up but chose to and it worked out nicely. 

Tate was the only AA-to-Majors callup. More of a mixed bag there. 

16 minutes ago, interloper said:

Actually I felt like Hays was pretty aggressive considering the time he missed and the iffy stats he was putting up at AAA. They didn't really need to call him up but chose to and it worked out nicely. 

Tate was the only AA-to-Majors callup. More of a mixed bag there. 

Harvey was AA to the majors.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't call any RP on the 40 getting called up aggressive.  Tate got called up to eat a few innings.

I'd say Harvey was a little aggressive considering his prospect status and that he hasn't thrown many professional innings. I would have thought they'd want him in AAA for a bit. Tate, agreed, that was whatever. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

AA or AAA to the majors

AA to AAA

A+ to AA

A to A+

The OP does not use the word aggressive.   It just highlights the Astros promotion of prospects over signing minor league free agents to fill vacancies.    I think this post shows that to some degree Elias is also doing this.

Not to veer too far off topic, but speaking of the Astros, it's now being rumored that MLB is considering GM and coach suspensions as a response to the cheating scandal. How exactly is MLB going to enforce a GM suspension? The need to make the teams that cheat forfeit draft picks, pay large fines, and possibly even forfeit division titles. Suspending coaches and GMs isn't going to be enough to deter future cheating. 

12 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

Old:

2, 31, 40, 76(?)

New:

2, 30, 39, 74

Looks like MLB actually already updated the order and removed the Astros' picks.

https://www.mlb.com/draft/2020/order

I thought the punishment was suspensions for manager and GM and a $5 million fine for the team. Did they lose draft picks as well?

edit: I just read the story, and yes, they lost their first and second round draft picks in 20 and in 21. We can assume the Red Sox will suffer a similar fate.

Edited by Philip
Addendum