Give me your rosiest semi-realistic scenario for 2020

Frobby

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Alex Cobb pitches well enough to make himself trade-able.

Mancini puts up similar numbers as last year in the first half.

Givens rebounds and is dominant in the first half. 

We somehow go into the trade deadline with the best available SP, RP, and bat.

Detriot takes Hancock/Torkelson with the #1 pick in June, and we take SS Austin Martin.

Our young players show hope, but we lose enough because of terrible SP to get the #1 pick in 2021. 

And we spend all of our international bonus pool money. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, even if most of that happened, I think we’d only win about 65 games.   And obviously, it won’t all happen.

Just remember that you could come up with a fairly lengthy list of things that went wrong in '89, in '12, in '14.  It doesn't take everything going right to have a good year, just a lot of things.  

Maybe not likely, but Mancini could miss 130 games with Dengue fever and they still win 68 games.

I think the likely case is that they win 55-60 games.  And it's not going to vary a whole lot around that because they don't have many players who could conceivably have a breakout.  And Elias and team have shown they can find enough random talent to keep them out of the '62 Mets, '03 Tigers zone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hallas said:

Of course, if all of this happens, we almost certainly make some trades, which probably means we’re back down to 65 wins.

The '18 Orioles traded Schoop, Machado, Gausman, Brach and they were a few percentage points better in the second half.

The '19 Orioles traded Cashner and played significantly better the second half.

15 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I root for the O's to win every game, but I don't understand how actually wining many more games than last year correlates to anything "rosy." Seems to me that would just set back the rebuild and make us wait longer for a true winner..

It will be a positive thing for the rebuild if players like Akin, Mountcastle, Hayes establish themselves as solid major leaguers, and players like Means and Alberto prove their 2019 seasons weren't flukes.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It will be a positive thing for the rebuild if players like Akin, Mountcastle, Hayes establish themselves as solid major leaguers, and players like Means and Alberto prove their 2019 seasons weren't flukes.

That would be rosy, unless it means we win too many games.

Mountcastle and Hays get ROY consideration.  If one of them wins it, that would be amazing.

Alberto rakes against lefties still, comes around on righties to make himself a good every day player.  

Mancini repeats last years performance.

Means is in line with what he did last year.

Hunter Harvey is electric, stays healthy all season.

Davis is released at some point or another.

Rutschman kills it in the minors.

Hall irons out his control issues, is electric.

Gray-Rod is dominant, ascends to top 25 prospect status.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yankees have more injuries than last season

That is like a homeless person wishing that a Rockefeller gets a bunch of speeding tickets.   If we ever get competitive again that is when I start worrying about the Yankees.  They can win the World Series this year for all I care. 

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The '18 Orioles traded Schoop, Machado, Gausman, Brach and they were a few percentage points better in the second half.

The '19 Orioles traded Cashner and played significantly better the second half.

Yeah at a certain point it is hard to get worse.  Especially when you have a bunch of games against the Tigers and Blue Jays.