Orioles ROY Mountcastle vs Hays/Harvey

HowAboutThat

2 hours ago, Philip said:

If Mountcastle hits like that, then sure. But Let’s see if he does. Very few people have, and it would be no surprise if Mountcastle does not. But man oh man, if he shows up and hits like Nelson Cruz, who you will recall was also useless in the field, that would be great.

Honestly, I don’t think Mountcastle is expected to be at that level.   If things go well, he might be a little better than Mancini.    And I’d gladly take that.    

Bo Bichette was worth 1.7 fWAR in 46 games to Vlad’s .04. I’m not sure how rWAR is calculated. I think he’s a valuable player, and I’d love to have him on our team, but if he were ours, I’d put him at DH til the cows come home.

There are still questions about Hays’ health and production, but if he remains healthy, he’s still my choice because he will continue to produce on defense even if he’s slumping on offense.

Bo Bichette had an awesome 1/3 of the season.    He outhit Vlad Jr. by a good bit.   But I wouldn’t put too much stock in Bichette being the better hitter long term.   If he is, the Blue Jays have an MVP candidate on their hands.    

4 hours ago, Philip said:

In one of their “fluff” pieces designed to help kill time between now and the start of real news, MLB Offered one potential rookie of the year for each team, and the oriole choice was Mountcastle. I found this curious, because Austin Hays or Hunter Harvey, each of whom retains rookie status, would be a better choice. They have each debuted in the majors with success, and Hays has demonstrated excellence On both sides of the ball. As things stand right now, I lean towards Hays, As being more valuable as a daily player and contributor, but I would choose either one over Mountcastle.

What does the crowd think?

Unless Mountcastle is injured or kept down too long, it has to be him. No question. 

If Mountcastle hits like that, then sure. But Let’s see if he does. Very few people have, and it would be no surprise if Mountcastle does not. But man oh man, if he shows up and hits like Nelson Cruz, who you will recall was also useless in the field, that would be great.

Can you please restrain yourself and wait until actual evidence of his ineptitude is present before making proclamations of this sort?

I know you have things that you are very concerned about but just try and reign it in.

You put poor Tanner Scott into therapy last year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, weams said:

Unless Mountcastle is injured or kept down too long, it has to be him. No question. 

Because?    

I guess you really believe in his bat.    I expect him to hit, but you never really know how rookies will adjust to big league pitching.    I’ll be surprised if he hits as well as Mancini did as a rookie (adjusted for whatever the offensive environment is this year).      

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Because?    

I guess you really believe in his bat.    I expect him to hit, but you never really know how rookies will adjust to big league pitching.    I’ll be surprised if he hits as well as Mancini did as a rookie (adjusted for whatever the offensive environment is this year).      

I expect the Hays reality to be closer to the aggregate of his cups of coffee than his results last year.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Because?    

I really believe that he is a top prospect. Not a reliever, Not an older former prospect recovering from many injuries. 

3 hours ago, Philip said:

There is no data anywhere that indicates Mountcastle will be useless in the field. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect the Hays reality to be closer to the aggregate of his cups of coffee than his results last year.

I think so too.    And I’d be fairly happy with that this year.   

For the record, that’s .266/.312/.453.   ZiPS had him at .250/.289/.441.    They have Mountcastle at .261/.291/.434.    

16 minutes ago, weams said:

Why? Considering his defense, his offense would have to be otherworldly. Rookie Mancini hit .293 with 24 homers and a 116 WRC, which is really good. Id love to get that from Mc, but they aren’t ROY numbers. Do you expect he’ll do appreciably better?

38 minutes ago, Philip said:

Me too, but it doesn’t make him a ROY candidate.

Mancini was a ROY candidate.  He came in third in the AL.  So if Mountcastle  turns out to be better than Mancini, how does that not make him a ROY candidate?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Mancini was a ROY candidate.  He came in third in the AL.  So if Mountcastle  turns out to be better than Mancini, how does that not make him a ROY candidate?

You are correct. I had forgotten that Mancini got votes. So, Defense aside, if he is as good or better than Mancini, he’ll be a candidate.

if Hays hits a bit less well, but continues to offer excellent defense, he would be the preferred candidate.

We shall see.