Which pitchers have a chance in camp and who is there for the experience

wildcard

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe Wojo isn't a lock.  I dunno.  

But let's go with 7 out of the 13 spots.  So the conversation is really about who's fighting for those 6 spots.  2 in the rotation, 4 in the pen.

For me, when it comes to the rotation I think it's LeBlanc and Stewart.  Stewart is still young enough with some upside, I think Elias is going to want to get a real long look at him and give him every chance, unless he's a complete disaster.  LeBlanc has been a decent pitcher before.  Of course there's all of ST for these guys to pitch themselves out of rotation spots.  

I have to imagine that Wojo has to pitch his way out of his rotation spot this spring. Would I call him a lock like Means and Cobb, no, but I'd say he's a solid zip tie for a rotation spot. 

I see the Rotation as being Cobb, Means, Wojo and then and open competition between LeBlanc, Bailey, Akin and Stewart for the last two spots. LeBlanc has the inside track because of his experience and Bailey is a Rule 5 guy so if he pitches well he's going to make the club in some role. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Tate pitched in MLB last year and has a strong resume. Why doesn't he have a chance?

I believe Tate certainly has a chance to make the OD roster if he can pitch well. I'm not real high on Tate because of his inconsistencies, but he flashed good stuff at times and if he can ever find consistency and locate his fastball better he could have a roll now and in the future.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to imagine that Wojo has to pitch his way out of his rotation spot this spring. Would I call him a lock like Means and Cobb, no, but I'd say he's a solid zip tie for a rotation spot. 

I see the Rotation as being Cobb, Means, Wojo and then and open competition between LeBlanc, Bailey, Akin and Stewart for the last two spots. LeBlanc has the inside track because of his experience and Bailey is a Rule 5 guy so if he pitches well he's going to make the club in some role. 

A zip tie is a good way of describing him.  I think he's close to being a lock but it wouldn't surprise me if he's not in the rotation by the end of the season.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I believe Tate certainly has a chance to make the OD roster if he can pitch well. I'm not real high on Tate because of his inconsistencies, but he flashed good stuff at times and if he can ever find consistency and locate his fastball better he could have a roll now and in the future.

I really only want Tate to make the roster because I know how much @Can_of_corn adores him.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I certainly like his stuff better than Kline.

Plus he wears his hat really high on his head which I find hilarious.

• Upvote 1

I'm factoring in things like 40 man status, options, batter faced rule, the need to eat innings early in the season, and player development.  Here's how I see the 13 man staff shaking out,

(5) Means, Cobb, Wojo, Stewart, Bailey

(8) Givens, Harvey, Armstrong, Castro, Bleier, Rucker, Leblanc, Hess

Notice that everyone in the pen, besides Givens and Armstrong, can go multiple innings.  We'll keep the multi inning relievers early on until we figure out what we have or settle down.  We likely won't settle down this season.  

I also left Fry and Scott off the roster.  Both have had some success, but do we really need a 3rd lefty?  Especially with the batter faced limit rule change.

From my point of view this looks simple, we're not really going to have a rotation outside of the top 3.  We're just going to cover innings.  Hopefully a guy or two, could emerge and be this year's Means.  Hess?

I think Akin gets 10ish starts in AAA for further refinement.  By the time he comes up, it'll be a situation where "he is what he is".