O's claim Ramon Urias

interloper

47 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You're the first person I've seen make the assertion that Dilson Herrera has a shot to make opening day.

Am I? I think he's way better than the other names I mentioned. I have no idea about his defense but here's how ZiPS projects OPS+ for Orioles ML IF candidates:

Herrera 88

J. Rondon 83

Valaika 75

Wilkerson 68

Martin 63

(Urena isn't listed on Orioles projections, but he has a career .662 OPS in AAA and .652 in AA so I'm guessing it's around Martin's)

Obviously, ZiPS projections only predict so well, but his AAA numbers recently are better than anything the other names there have posted.

Urena is listed as a 40 FV on Fangraphs and is listed 8th of the Cardinals 12 40 FV prospects. Assuming that the Orioles 40 FV prospects are of approximately similar quality and he ranks in the same area among the Orioles 40 FV prospects, he would slot in on the Orioles list around 22, between Brandon Bailey and Darrell Hernaiz.

• Upvote 1

When discussing these guys, do you ever get the feeling that we were just discussing the number of stripes on zebras?

Whoever we get he’s going to be 3839 or 40 on the list, and if you hold your breath for a couple minutes he’s likely to get replaced with somebody else. 

I’m interested in the fact that PECOTA Has a peg for 62.9 victories, which would be an improvement of seven or eight wins depending on where are you round up or not.

Progress!

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Actually, the above scouting report was before last season. He's still a 40 FV, 20th ranked prospect in their system, but the below was posted a couple weeks back:

Who's scouting report is that, Fangraphs? Wonder how they are getting trackman data on prospects?

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Who's scouting report is that, Fangraphs? Wonder how they are getting trackman data on prospects?

Yes, from Longenhagen and McDaniel at Fangraphs. I remember Longenhagen tweeting about Christopher Cespedes (Orioles minor league rule 5 pick) having one of the highest EVs in the minors last year. I guess those guys have access to it.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Tony, I don’t know where they get it, but I just found out that their prospect board lists average exit velocity and max exit velocity.     Here’s a list of 18 Orioles prospects that shows their average and max EV:  https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-prospect-list/scouting-position?sort=2,-1&type=2&pg=0&team=bal

Of the listed players, Stowers has the top max EV at 110, Daschbach has the top average EV at 92.

The pitching list has spin rate (RPM) for both fastball and breaking ball.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2020-prospect-list/scouting-pitching?sort=-1,1&type=3&pg=0&team=bal

• Upvote 2

On 2/11/2020 at 4:25 PM, MurphDogg said:

Urena is listed as a 40 FV on Fangraphs and is listed 8th of the Cardinals 12 40 FV prospects. Assuming that the Orioles 40 FV prospects are of approximately similar quality and he ranks in the same area among the Orioles 40 FV prospects, he would slot in on the Orioles list around 22, between Brandon Bailey and Darrell Hernaiz.

Urena ended up being listed #24, between Kyle Bradish and Alex Wells.

• 5 months later...

o

(AUGUST 12th)

Ramón Urías made it to the majors yesterday - well, sort of - as the taxi squad player. The Orioles claimed him off of waivers from the Cardinals on February 11th and out-righted infielder Pat Valaika, who broke summer camp with the club and started at shortstop last night.

Urías, 26, played in Mexico for 5 years before signing with the Cardinals prior to the 2018 season. He slashed .262/.347/.426 the past two seasons at AAA-Memphis.

The Orioles optioned Urías on March 19th  after returning home from Spring Training. He was added to the 60-man player pool last month.

I havent seen a lot of him, said manager Brandon Hyde. I do know that he had a couple nice years in the St. Louis organization. He has swung the bat well. He plays at 3 different spots in the infield, so he allows us to have a little bit of depth in case something happens to one of our infielders."

I dont know a ton about him just because Spring Training was cut short, and I just didnt see him get a lot of plate appearances there. Hes been working out with our summer camp guys, and hes going to add some depth in the infield in case theres an emergency.

More on Rotation, Urías, Iglesias, Winning, and Chemistry

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/more-on-rotation-urias-iglesias-winning-and-chemistry.html

o