Maryland at Michigan State

ArtVanDelay

Had some people over for poker so missed some of the second half, but I did see the final four minutes. This was a big win obviously and it was good to see Turgeon finally  beat Izzo. It's a down year for Michigan State standards, but a win up there is a big win because that's a great program.

I tell you though, Cowan does have ice in veins. He just a total assassin at the end of games with threes and thing is, is it really doesn't matter what kind of game he's had up to that point, he's the guy you want the ball in the hands of with the game on the line in the last two minutes of a game. 

Trimble hit a lot of big shots in his time, and of course Juan Dixon was money back in the day, but this kid may be the best late game shooter in Terps history.

Both the Big-10 tourney and NCAA's are big tests ahead of course, but this was a nice step in the right direction.

22 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Had some people over for poker so missed some of the second half, but I did see the final four minutes. This was a big win obviously and it was good to see Turgeon finally  beat Izzo. It's a down year for Michigan State standards, but a win up there is a big win because that's a great program.

I tell you though, Cowan does have ice in veins. He just a total assassin at the end of games with threes and thing is, is it really doesn't matter what kind of game he's had up to that point, he's the guy you want the ball in the hands of with the game on the line in the last two minutes of a game. 

Trimble hit a lot of big shots in his time, and of course Juan Dixon was money back in the day, but this kid may be the best late game shooter in Terps history.

Both the Big-10 tourney and NCAA's are big tests ahead of course, but this was a nice step in the right direction.

That game was over with 3:30 to play. Or maybe over-ish.  MSU up 7 in their own building with their fans going nuts. I turned the sound off and was one possession away from turning it off. Then Smith hit the 3 and started the 14-0 run with great defensive stops. 

One of the greatest reversals I've ever seen in a Terps win. 

On 2/16/2020 at 6:43 AM, Tony-OH said:

Just curious, how close/far are you from the "Fire Turgeon yesterday!" camp?  I'm sure you're further away than you were during our Seton Hall/PSU/Iowa/Wisconsin stretch, but it sounds like you're still sort of leaning toward wanting him gone, unless the Terps go off at either the B1G tourney or the NCAA tourney.  Is that accurate?

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Just curious, how close/far are you from the "Fire Turgeon yesterday!" camp?  I'm sure you're further away than you were during our Seton Hall/PSU/Iowa/Wisconsin stretch, but it sounds like you're still sort of leaning toward wanting him gone, unless the Terps go off at either the B1G tourney or the NCAA tourney.  Is that accurate?

Yeah, unless they make the elite 8, I'd want him gone. They also need to win the Big10 this year with Michigan State being in a down year. He can not lose to Penn State again either. If you let Penn State become a better basketball school then Maryland then you need to go.

This team has no depth and his recruiting really fell of last year. If they win it will be on the backs of Cowan and Stix and they're both gone next year so this is the year. 

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, unless they make the elite 8, I'd want him gone. They also need to win the Big10 this year with Michigan State being in a down year. He can not lose to Penn State again either. If you let Penn State become a better basketball school then Maryland then you need to go.

This team has no depth and his recruiting really fell of last year. If they win it will be on the backs of Cowan and Stix and they're both gone next year so this is the year. 

That's fair.  I don't like comparing the team against other teams' historical reputations, (e.g. Penn State) but in general the team has to win, and I certainly don't disagree that he has to break through the glass this year.