Undrafted Free Agent SIgnings?

Philip

49 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

So, rounds 37-40. I'm not talking about those guys. Rounds 6-36....31 rounds, 900 plus players. Right now, the 151st best college or HS players can't be signed for more that 10 or 20K. You don't think that is a rough reality for the dream?? Hours of workouts, $$$$$$ spent, travel, etc. 

Not really. I believe dancers go through similar difficulties getting to Broadway. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UpstateNYfan said:

So, rounds 37-40. I'm not talking about those guys. Rounds 6-36....31 rounds, 900 plus players. Right now, the 151st best college or HS players can't be signed for more that 10 or 20K. You don't think that is a rough reality for the dream?? Hours of workouts, $$$$$$ spent, travel, etc. 

What's the appropriate level of compensation for the 151st best draftee?  Look back at the 6th round from, say, 2005-2015.  Most years there are one or two, maybe three guys who signed and then had pretty decent careers.  I think there's one 20-win player in the years I looked, a lot of years have just a couple of guys in the 5-10 range.  If you're paying for a 1-in-15 chance of a Bud Norris, Mark Trumbo kind of career, what is the right level of bonus?

The Orioles have had 55 sixth rounders.  Mike Boddicker, Erik Bedard.  Third best was John Maine.  50 of the 55 had careers worth less than one win.

Funny aside.  In '95 the O's sixth rounder was John Bale.  Didn't sign.  But the O's had the last laugh - they later traded for him.  Jayson Werth.  But they got their man.  And the full value of 26 2/3rds innings of a 3.04 ERA.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, weams said:

Not really. I believe dancers go through similar difficulties getting to Broadway. 

What a stretch!!!! So, you stated that the last 1/3 of draft choices took signing bonuses of about 20K. I am talking past, so far past as last year...what was the average bonus in round 6,  7, 8,  9 , 10, 11, 12, 13 ,14, 15..oh yeah and you said the last third....I merely said it has to be said for players that worked hard for years had to be disappointed...That's all. Were they overpaid, likely. Most were fodder to develop the likely MLB players...I caught s..t for saying that here. Don't compare Broadway to baseball...there is an historical basis for a belief of a payday for a guy in round 6 plus....a kid coming out of college in acting has no such historical basis. You always seemed like a man of reason or logic...guess not.

15 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I want to see if any undrafted players get better offers from foreign leagues or even indy leagues.  Even an Atlantic League team might be able to swing $25k.

Are the Indy leagues having seasons this year?

On 6/11/2020 at 7:54 PM, thezeroes said:

Those players that go undrafted are free agents and can sign with any team.  Here is an article that rates the top ten organizations that have signed these types of players over the years.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-10-mlb-organizations-at-identifying-undrafted-free-agents/

I honestly thought the Dodgers would rank higher on that list.

It would seem that only having a five round draft this year will have many unanticipated effects due to the huge number of players now in the undrafted category compared to the past years.   Sure, many of the excess later rounds in years past were filled with high school picks who were always going to college, or vanity picks like pro basketball or hockey players, or sons of past team stars, etc....but, still, just think if the NFL similarly said that for one year were only going to have 3 rounds.

If the rules say teams can offer only 20k as max signing bonus, then the question will be...what else can teams do to try to benefit from this year’s anomaly of a draft?   Can they offer the undrafted talent other incentives to join us rather than playing somehwere else?...I don’t know the answer, but I have to think that Elias and co. have a plan that maximizes our participation in the undrafted crop of 2020. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It would seem that only having a five round draft this year will have many unanticipated effects due to the huge number of players now in the undrafted category compared to the past years.   Sure, many of the excess later rounds in years past were filled with high school picks who were always going to college, or vanity picks like pro basketball or hockey players, or sons of past team stars, etc....but, still, just think if the NFL similarly said that for one year were only going to have 3 rounds.

If the rules say teams can offer only 20k as max signing bonus, then the question will be...what else can teams do to try to benefit from this year’s anomaly of a draft?   Can they offer the undrafted talent other incentives to join us rather than playing somehwere else?...I don’t know the answer, but I have to think that Elias and co. have a plan that maximizes our participation in the undrafted crop of 2020. 

I thought the idea (someone else threw it out) of offering college arms a quick track to the 40 man in a relief spot was intriguing. 

• Upvote 1

I skimmed Mayo's Top 10, and the one that jumped out at me was:

Niko Kavadas, 3B, Notre Dame (Jr.): Kavadas is all about left-handed power, and he tied for the Atlantic Coast Conference lead with seven homers in 13 games this spring after tying for first in the Cape Cod League with nine dingers last summer. He scores very well in various hitting metrics, producing impressive launch angles and exit velocities while earning well-above-average grades for his raw pop from some scouts.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-non-drafted-free-agents

A lot of the JUCO coaches I have been talking to have said this will be the best year of JUCO ball since the draft and follow days as many HS kids are backing out of 4 year commitments since the NCAA gave an extra year of eligibility to all the college guys.  I think we see a ton of high end JUCO draft picks next year.

27 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I skimmed Mayo's Top 10, and the one that jumped out at me was:

Niko Kavadas, 3B, Notre Dame (Jr.): Kavadas is all about left-handed power, and he tied for the Atlantic Coast Conference lead with seven homers in 13 games this spring after tying for first in the Cape Cod League with nine dingers last summer. He scores very well in various hitting metrics, producing impressive launch angles and exit velocities while earning well-above-average grades for his raw pop from some scouts.

https://www.mlb.com/news/2020-mlb-non-drafted-free-agents

I saw that, too, and it made me wonder why he went undrafted.  My guess was defense, but I don't know.

• weams changed the title to Undrafted Free Agent SIgnings?