O's Future Shortstop Ratings Comparison

wildcard

On 6/22/2020 at 7:23 PM, Philip said:

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned trades. The guy playing SS for us will be the one who doesn’t get traded.

if Elias is really going to draft the bats and trade for arms(with which I strenuously disagree at this point) then he’s going to need lots of interesting trade bait.

So Martin/Iglesias plays this season, next year we have Hall(?) or maybe Martin improves enough we can trade Hall, or vice versa.

We have enough shortstops that one of them should pan out. The others are investments in pitching.

I think the whole goal here is that the SS is more likely than not, the most athletic player on the team.  Therefore, could easily transition to other positions (Adam Jones) if they show they can hit.  So, draft as many SS as possible and move them into positions to succeed at the major league level.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

I think the whole goal here is that the SS is more likely than not, the most athletic player on the team.  Therefore, could easily transition to other positions (Adam Jones) if they show they can hit.  So, draft as many SS as possible and move them into positions to succeed at the major league level.

That was Weaver’s philosophy.

3 hours ago, CarrRun49 said:

Like Mountcastle, lol. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Even a guy like Thome, who played 40 games at SS in his first minor league season (17 at 3B)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=thome-001jam

Don't you just love that continuum, that evolution over someone's career?  I don't know if there are a lot of comps to that in other sports.  Some, like a corner might become a safety, or a striker might eventually end up on defense.  But baseball is so predictable and linear.  You're a shortstop in high school, you slide over to second or third when you can't hack it at a higher level, you get older and can't throw as well and find yourself at first, and then some kid comes up and you're a DH and pinch hitter.  There have to have been 5,000 guys who followed roughly that sequence.  It's still odd to think of that 38-year-old DH as a kid shortstop.

22 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Like Mountcastle, lol. 

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or what. But, this is exactly like Mountcastle.  Best player on his team in HS. Hits at every level throughout the minors. You find a place for the guy to play. Figure it out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CarrRun49 said:

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or what. But, this is exactly like Mountcastle.  Best player on his team in HS. Hits at every level throughout the minors. You find a place for the guy to play. Figure it out.

Just making the point that a nominal SS in HS is not necessarily the most athletic and there are way worse outcomes defensively than shifting to 3B or CF.

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just making the point that a nominal SS in HS is not necessarily the most athletic and there are way worse outcomes defensively than shifting to 3B or CF.

I'm willing to bet a lot of money he was the most athletic and talented player on his HS team. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been playing SS, nor drafted 36th overall.

• Upvote 1