MLB Implements 60 Game Season

weams

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They can't reduce the risk to zero but will the risk to the players be any higher playing MLB than it would be if they weren't?  I don't think very many at all are living in a sterile bubble at this point.

I don't believe playing the game is any more risky than what they are doing now, but traveling so much probably is.  It seems to me that figuring out a safe way to transport the teams from place to place is a major challenge.

Just now, Number5 said:

I don't believe playing the game is any more risky than what they are doing now, but traveling so much probably is.  It seems to me that figuring out a safe way to transport the teams from place to place is a major challenge.

Private buses and planes.  Stuff they already use.

Renting entire floors of hotels.  Something they are probably already doing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Private buses and planes.  Stuff they already use.

Renting entire floors of hotels.  Something they are probably already doing.

If you assume that nobody involved with the team ever contracts the virus, flying everyone on a private plane and putting them all up on the same floor of various hotels may seem to be a good idea.  If one person contracts the virus, enclosing everyone else in a plane with him for several hours is certain to infect others.  It is a real problem.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Number5 said:

If you assume that nobody involved with the team ever contracts the virus, flying everyone on a private plane and putting them all up on the same floor of various hotels may seem to be a good idea.  If one person contracts the virus, enclosing everyone else in a plane with him for several hours is certain to infect others.  It is a real problem.

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to fly everyone on separate private planes.

I'm also going to guess and say the schedule they come up with will require a lot less flying than normal.

The key, obviously, is to try and keep your players away from sources of infection.  I'd be in favor of them staying at a hotel or condo designated for their use even at home.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to fly everyone on separate private planes.

I'm also going to guess and say the schedule they come up with will require a lot less flying than normal.

The key, obviously, is to try and keep your players away from sources of infection.  I'd be in favor of them staying at a hotel or condo designated for their use even at home.

I don't think the players would ever agree to being quarantined for the season.  As I said, it is a real challenge.  Hopefully they can figure something out.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I don't think the players would ever agree to being quarantined for the season.  As I said, it is a real challenge.  Hopefully they can figure something out.

If they won't be quarantined then they don't have much of a case for demanding stringent safety measures.

• Upvote 2

Just now, survivedc said:

I understand flying to be relatively safe, given the rate that air is filtered through the cabin. I don’t think it would be a bad idea to implement a mask policy while indoors/on planes for players/staff.

I guess this is an example of the many divergent opinions we get through the media, all purporting to be factual.  I read that an airplane is the single worst place to be, with the possible exception of a hospital.  Frankly, that makes a lot more sense to me, on the face of it, than what you've apparently read.  Having a large group of people tightly packed in a small space for hours just seems conducive to spreading of contagion to me, but that certainly isn't my field of expertise.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they won't be quarantined then they don't have much of a case for demanding stringent safety measures.

One would think.  Nevertheless, do you really think they would agree to such a thing?  I don't.

• Upvote 2

You can still fly with someone that has COVID I think some of you think if you look at someone you are going to get it.  Just look at golf Nick Watney was the first golfer to get it.  He flew with Sergio Garcia on a small private plane and Garcia has been negative along with other people on the plane.  His playing partners on Thursday have also tested negative as has his caddie. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I guess this is an example of the many divergent opinions we get through the media, all purporting to be factual.  I read that an airplane is the single worst place to be, with the possible exception of a hospital.  Frankly, that makes a lot more sense to me, on the face of it, than what you've apparently read.  Having a large group of people tightly packed in a small space for hours just seems conducive to spreading of contagion to me, but that certainly isn't my field of expertise.

I think if you have a private plane, in which every person on it has been tested, your risk isn't elevated.  If I'm MLB I am sure as heck quarantining the flight crews of these planes.  I'm sure you can find crews that would agree to that for a couple of months for a nice bump in pay.