How long will DJ Stewart be able to hold off Ryan Mountcastle?

wildcard

19 minutes ago, scOtt said:

It wasn't just Nick's arm... He played those balls SO WELL off the scoreboard. He barehanded that one in the video. He was just so lightning quick to come up throwing, and had a good enough arm to make a good accurate throw. He had that play wired!

He had tremendous hands, and always knew where to throw.    Not fast but he had everything else you want in a RF.

37 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

C'mon man, we all have access to the same stats. Stop making things up.

His season OPS peaked after game 1 of a doubleheader on September 3rd. He struggled his last 16 games of the season, from September 3rd to September 23rd. Not a month and a half.

His batting average peaked August 12th. He went from hitting .310 then to .261 at the end of the season.  Seems like a month and half slump to me.  I doubt he is a major league player but we shall see. 

He finished the year with a .297 OBP. He had bad OBP at Norfolk in 2019 and Bowie in 2018. He is close to being 26.

18 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

And Kjerstad a year or two after that. Too bad we don't have an opening at first base.

Even if Davis is terrible again this year, the Coronavirus situation probably bought him another year to be penciled in in hopes of a bounceback.

You hope ...but this is far from a given at this point.

8 hours ago, atomic said:

His batting average peaked August 12th. He went from hitting .310 then to .261 at the end of the season.  Seems like a month and half slump to me.  I doubt he is a major league player but we shall see. 

He finished the year with a .297 OBP. He had bad OBP at Norfolk in 2019 and Bowie in 2018. He is close to being 26.

From game 2 on August 12th where his batting average peaked to September 3rd over 20 games he hit 7 homers and had a game where he went 5-5.

He did start striking out more at that point but it is tough to call a .800+ stretch with a 55+ home run pace a slump.

Maybe he changed his approach and sold out for power which dropped his batting average, but that wasn't a slump.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You hope ...but this is far from a given at this point.

None of it is a given. But his odds aren't necessarily worse than Stewart or Diaz.

Of the college outfielders drafted in the top 13 from 2010-2015, 6 of the 7 have become MLB regulars, Ian Happ, Benintendi, Conforto, Renfroe, Springer, Harper.

Only Michael Choice, drafted 10th by the A's in 2010 was a bust.

College outfielders are probably the safest players to draft, although there is obviously still risk.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Sounds like it is 5 days, not 7 that a player without MLB experience needs to be held back.

The Athletic also says 5 days.

Clubs still have a vested interest in manipulating that service time to keep rookies from accruing a full season and thus delay their ability to hit free agency by a year. In a 60-game season, a rookie only has to be held down for five days to deprive them of a full year of service time.

Curious how many teams actually bring guys up on the 6th day instead of a few days later to give themselves the veneer of plausible deniability, as service time manipulation is technically against the rules even if it is widely done and widely accepted.

14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

C'mon man, we all have access to the same stats. Stop making things up.

His season OPS peaked after game 1 of a doubleheader on September 3rd. He struggled his last 16 games of the season, from September 3rd to September 23rd. Not a month and a half.

Well, I guess it's how you chop up the numbers.

Santander from Aug 12th to the end of the seasons slashed .188/.214/.416/.629 with a 4BB- 45K ratio in 159 PAs.

That's not good. 

In fact, he really only hit well over six game period (Aug 25- Sep 1) at the end of August into Early September when he slashed .520/.520/1.120/1.640 with four HRs over 25 PAs.

After that hot streak he hit .138/.169/.300/.469 over his last 83 PAs.

Now saying that, Hyde indicated he was playing "banged up" when he shut him down in late September.  Hyde said. “He’s been playing pretty banged up the last couple of weeks. To his credit, not saying anything to anybody and wanted to be out there. He’s a tough kid that wanted to finish the season strong, but physically he’s not quite right. We’ll see about the next couple of days.”

So we don't really know how much the "injuries" were bothering him but we do know overall, outside of that stretch where hit like the steroided up Barry Bonds, he didn't hit well over his last month and half.

Still, I think he's the everyday RFer this year.

32 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The Athletic also says 5 days.

Curious how many teams actually bring guys up on the 6th day instead of a few days later to give themselves the veneer of plausible deniability, as service time manipulation is technically against the rules even if it is widely done and widely accepted.

Yeah, I could see the orioles maybe wait until game 10-14 to bring up Mountcastle, but who knows? It will be interesting to see how they handle Mountcastle.

16 hours ago, atomic said:

Santander didn’t hit in Triple A last year and struggled the last month and half of the season.  Nothing about his career tells me his is a major league player.  

At 21 Santander was one of the better players his age in the Carolina League.  He was about the same age and hit about as well as Ian Happ.  Then the O's took him in the Rule 5, stuck him on the DL, put him on a brief rehab stint, then the next year he only played 72 games. 

The jury is still out.  He has some attributes that point towards him perhaps developing late and becoming productive.  The Orioles are a perfect team to give him 500 or 1000 at bats to see what comes of it.

• Upvote 2

Last year overall, his fWAR was .07, WRC was 97. His defense in Center was bad, in LF was a wee bit below average and pretty good in Right, including +5 DRS. I’d call that worth keeping around. I haven’t checked Trumbo’s stats, or Smith’s or Mancini’s, but I’m willing to bet Santander was better.

• Upvote 1