Big announcement on the future of Orioles Hangout

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Good lord please get out of the damn rabbit holes. 

Let me tell you a story second-hand from a friend of mine, who's an EMT, about a recent encounter he had with someone in public.

There was this woman who believed that the temperature sensors (basically infrared detectors) they used on people to scan them for elevated temperature were "mind control devices." This is what she said to him.

He spent several minutes calmly showing her and explaining to her how the device works, testing it on himself, etc. He even went into some of the science of it and showed her all the settings on it.

When he finished explaining, although she listened politely, she replied, "I don't believe a word you just said."

You're shouting at a wall. Let it go. This is why we don't discuss politics here. You can never change someone's mind.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I post sometimes on the fourms on Billjamesonline.com.  They allow political discussions.  There are three or four regular posters there who probably start 1/3 of the threads, that I have to have on ignore because every single thread they post in becomes a ugly name-calling flame war.  The worst disputes on the Hangout are nothing compared to what happens there.  You could start a conversation about Al Kaline's batting stance, and there's a good chance you're going to get called a dirty %$#%$ing Marxist Fascist loser.

The no politics rule here is one of the things that keeps this a really good forum.

I post in a football forum on another site, and we have a very similar situation.  The lone moderator there called for a ban on politics a few months ago, and yet he often starts the political interruptions - which leads to others thinking it's fine to post on politics.  The odd thing is that he's been called out on it at least twice that I've seen, then is good enough to apologize for it, and then he keeps doing it again.    

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well now you're just throwing bombs and being fussy.  

No one disagrees that black on black crime is a problem.  I am sure you're very concerned about it and wouldn't dare to bring it up unless you can use it to punch down on other topics.  I'm also pretty sure you've dedicated a lot of your time to researching black on black crime and working to raise awareness about the issue and how you can help stop it.  I can tell it's an issue near and dear to your heart.  

But black on black crime isn't how BLM started.  It's very simple, here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Lives_Matter#Loose_structure

Now...you can dig your heels in and keep pouting. 

I've learned in recent years that the people who get uncomfortable with discussing these things are usually just uncomfortable with themselves.  

Michael Brown? That was the "hands up, don't shoot lie", right? The guy that assaulted an Asian store owner and reached for an officer's weapon? Is that the right one?

Just now, DirtyBird said:

Michael Brown? That was the "hands up, don't shoot lie", right? The guy that assaulted an Asian store owner and reached for an officer's weapon? Is that the right one?

Right, so that means he should have been shot and killed.  Glad you're happy about it.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right, so that means he should have been shot and killed.  Glad you're happy about it.  

Well, I do not know the story, but if a guy grabs for my gun, I cannot be blamed for shooting him in response, because I don’t know what he wants to do with my gun.

Now again, I do not know the story, But if that comment is true, then it does change the story.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is the kind of ridiculous argument that taints political discussions nowadays.  I guess when you have no intelligent retort, you must put words in someone's mouth.

Just now, Philip said:

Well, I do not know the story, but if a guy grabs for my gun, I cannot be blamed for shooting him in response, because I don’t know what he wants to do with my gun.

Now again, I do not know the story, But if that comment is true, then it does change the story.

C'mon, get it together. 

If a guy grabs for your gun but doesn't actually *take your gun* that means he's still unarmed and YOU are armed.  That doesn't give you carte blanche to shoot him because he unsuccessfully took your gun.  

Just now, Hazmat said:

This is the kind of ridiculous argument that taints political discussions nowadays.  I guess when you have no intelligent retort, you must put words in someone's mouth.

Well enlighten me on what the proper response should have been?  Does assaulting a store owner and reaching for a police officer's weapon warrant being shot to death?  This isn't even a political discussion, it's just about being a decent person.  

• Upvote 2