Elias: emulating the Rays?

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From an interview with Fangraphs’ David Laurila (who, by the way, is one of the great baseball journalists around IMO):

“With the modern business of the game now, you look at a lot of clubs… like the team we’re playing [this weekend],” Elias told reporters on a Zoom call. “The Rays are very transactional. You’ve got to pick your times and cycle guys in, cycle guys out — keep the talent flow going. Yeah, we’re still at a point in our cycle where we’re going to prioritize stuffing the talent pipeline as much as possible in the minor leagues. Then the goal is to persist in that way once we have the talent-base filled in.”

In other words, expect roster fluidity beyond the rebuild. As for what Baltimore will be getting in return for Bleier, it will almost certainly be a prospect. The name itself will have to wait, baseball’s current circumstances being the reason why.

“This year, if you’re going to acquire a player who’s not in a club’s active-player pool, any trade needs to be structured that way,” explained the Orioles GM. “So obviously I can’t reveal what we might expect to receive, or what our options would be. At some point in time we’ll consummate the rest of the trade.”

I think the Rays are the blueprint for small market sustained success in today’s MLB so I’m all for it. 

• Upvote 1

I hope so. I really like the way the Rays seem to be building their teams. They develop really well and they aren't afraid to trade guys they won't resign for new players.    

I think that's the way you have to do it these days to avoid full tear down rebuilds, trade players that you think a younger player could replace when their value is high. 

4 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I hope so. I really like the way the Rays seem to be building their teams. They develop really well and they aren't afraid to trade guys they won't resign for new players.    

I think that's the way you have to do it these days to avoid full tear down rebuilds, trade players that you think a younger player could replace when their value is high. 

I know i’m bearing a dead horse and It probably will never happen because the union won’t allow it, but baseball really need some kind of system (not necessarily a salary cap) where small market teams can hold players that they develop. Nothing is more frustrating than being a glorified farm system for big market teams. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Big different is that the Rays priorties drafting pitchers.  Elias does not.

I think the article was more discussing the Rays’ philosophy of trading guys early and often.    Not that Elias will emulate the Rays in every respect.    But also, I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions about Elias’ draft strategy based on one full draft and this year’s five-rounder (6 picks for us).     It’s just too limited a sample.   

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the article was more discussing the Rays’ philosophy of trading guys early and often.    Not that Elias will emulate the Rays in every respect.    But also, I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions about Elias’ draft strategy based on one full draft and this year’s five-rounder (6 picks for us).     It’s just too limited a sample.   

I'm sorry but two drafts is a pretty good indicator on a GM's approach to the draft.   Especially when it added to what he did when he was with the Astro.  He had major problems with two pitchers drafted on the 1st round.    Probably not a coincidence.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I'm sorry but two drafts is a pretty good indicator on a GM's approach to the draft.   Especially when it added to what he did when he was with the Astro.  He had major problems with two pitchers drafted on the 1st round.    Probably not a coincidence.

So is his approach to take the best player on the board or go underslot and use the money later in the draft?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I know that Im bearing a dead horse, and It probably will never happen because the union wont allow it, but baseball really need some kind of system (not necessarily a salary cap) in which small-market teams can hold players that they develop. Nothing is more frustrating than being a glorified farm system for big-market teams. 

o

The Kansas City A's and the Wrong Half of the Yankees: How the ...

o

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I do want the Orioles to have a bit higher operational budget than the Rays.  But after the MASN thing I don't think we can expect it to be that much higher.  Hopefully they can emulate the Rays while putting in that little extra to get them over in the playoffs.

Isn’t the “MASN thing” that MASN alone pays the O’s more per year than the Rays typical payroll? Even with the adjustments from losing the court case (I’m assuming it’s lost at this point). 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

If Mike is really going to avoid drafting pitchers, that’s a problem. 
I don’t know whether the Astros count as mid-market or not, but they definitely have more money than the Orioles, and spending a pile of money on almost any FA pitching would be foolish, when you can draft a bunch of guys, keep them for 3-4 inexpensive years and then trade them.

the Rays are right. “Trade early and often”