Hays to IL with rib fracture, Mullins up, Lopez activated

MurphDogg

10 hours ago, Number5 said:

More power to him for playing with a broken rib.  I remember when I broke a rib it hurt like hell with any movement.

I was gonna say, I've only ever had a hairline fracture on my big toe. I've heard ribs are REALLY painful. Like with every breath painful.

Lopez looked pretty good today.  The fastball had good movement and pretty good velocity.  The change got some swings and misses the breaking ball wasn’t great but a serviceable pitch that he can use.  He looked to have starter stuff in the 2+ innings I saw.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on Hays?  Been over 2 weeks since he went on the DL.  Didn’t really think he would only be on for 10 days but still, it would be nice for him to get back soon.

Only about a month left in the season.  If he misses too much more time, it may not be worth bringing him back at all.

Last I saw was last Tuesday:

Hyde said there’s no timetable on Austin Hays, who’s on the injured list with a non-displaced rib fracture.

“He’s just still rehabbing the rib injury,” Hyde said.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/hyde-on-leblanc-rotation-severino-iglesias-harvey-and-hays.html

Sure didn’t sound like his return was imminent.

Aside from the losing,  the pieces are falling into place all except for Hays. Mountcastle is up, Akin will start, Harvey is back,  dealing veterans. 

If he can’t comeback hopefully he can hit the ground running next year. He has had too many wasted seasons. 

On 8/16/2020 at 5:02 AM, scOtt said:

I was gonna say, I've only ever had a hairline fracture on my big toe. I've heard ribs are REALLY painful. Like with every breath painful.

In college a bunch of us took the black plastic top of a dumpster and headed out to the Blacksburg Municipal Golf Course to go sledding.  There are some really steep holes, so the fairways made for awesome sledding.  You can fit four people across one of those dumpster lids. 

Went down the hill, hit the green, the other three people bailed, I stayed on.  Flew off the back side of the green, which was ringed by trees.  I hit the tree about 3' up, heard a thunderclap, and next thing I knew I was 20 feet on the other side of the tree laying in the snow, wind knocked out of me.  Rib cracked.  Being 20 I just dedicated to tough it out, never went to the doc.  Hurt to breathe for a month.  You can still feel where the rib is cracked almost 30 years later.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Maybe we've entered a world where nobody remembers anything past 10 days ago, kind of mass medium-to-long-term amnesia.

Hmm... I remember stuff five or 10 years ago, so that can't be it.

Do you remember that Hays has had a hard time staying healthy through his minor leaguer career and Is not a quick healthier?  That makes is hard to depend on him as an everyday starter.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Do you remember that Hays has had a hard time staying healthy through his minor leaguer career and Is not a quick healthier?  That makes is hard to depend on him as an everyday starter.

I also remember that Mullins has a career MLB OPS of .596, and a AAA OPS of .670.  Hard to depend on someone as an everyday starter when they can't hit.  When healthy Hayes is clearly a better player.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

I also remember that Mullins has a career MLB OPS of .596.  Hard to depend on someone as an everyday starter when they can't hit.  When healthy Hayes is clearly a better player.

Agreed.   When Hays is healthy, Hays is going to play.   Being injury prone is not a reason to sit a guy when he’s healthy, if he’s the better player.   I do think Mullins has looked much better in recent weeks than at any time since August 2018.    Hopefully he can continue that and retain a useful role on the team.   

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is way different than you basically saying Mullins has proven that he is an everyday CFer.

Its fair to question if Hays can stay healthy.

Its not fair to think Mullins is and should be the everyday CFer going forward.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.   When Hays is healthy, Hays is going to play.   Being injury prone is not a reason to sit a guy when he’s healthy, if he’s the better player.   I do think Mullins has looked much better in recent weeks than at any time since August 2018.    Hopefully he can continue that and retain a useful role on the team.   

And Mullins is a 4th OF type at best. I don’t expect him to be around for more than a couple of seasons