Desperate for a Win (vs. RED SOX, 8/21) Behold, The Mountcastle

OFFNY

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I really dislike Ben’s endless blather. “If we do this and then we do this, and then we can go to the ninth inning and do this and then will have a ball game.” Oh my gosh shut up

What would you be saying if you were being paid to provide color commentary tonight?

12 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

What would you be saying if you were being paid to provide color commentary tonight?

I’d prepare much more interesting stuff, I would avoid platitudes and I would especially avoid “if then if then if then” comments.

hes been doing this for years, it’s easy to prepare things and it’s easy to avoid things.

Edit: I’m sorry that was discourteous. I apologize. Ben can say insightful things especially when he’s taking about pitching, but most of what he says is mindless blathering, and he should know better. He contributes overall, very little, and I wish the oriole broadcasters as a group were better.

Edited by Philip

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I’d prepare much more interesting stuff, I would avoid platitudes and I would especially avoid “if then if then if then” comments.

hes been doing this for years, it’s easy to prepare things and it’s easy to avoid things.

if YOU like it, great.

The idea is to give the viewers a reasonable scenario in which the team can come back, giving a reason to keep watching.

7 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

The idea is to give the viewers a reasonable scenario in which the team can come back, giving a reason to keep watching.

I qualified my Earlier comment to add an apology. I say again that I didn’t mean to be discourteous, and I’m sorry.

Yes your correct about what color guys are supposed to do but Ben does that so rarely that overall He’s annoying. He has the job because he’s a former pitcher and not because he’s a good radio personality.

18 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Actually no that’s not true. The purpose of the color guy is to keep the audience engaged. Platitudes or false enthusiasm does not accomplish that.

That’s why interesting commentary and engaging voices are so important: they encourage a listener to keep listening even if the game is bad, because what is being said, and how it is being said, are themselves interesting. Ben has a good voice but he Usually says empty things. Brown and Newman have monotonous voices with almost no inflection, and say nothing interesting. Newman sounds like she’s reading the phone book, and with as much enthusiasm. Bordick on the other hand, fakes wild enthusiasm about the rising sun.

How many ways can you think of to say”here’s the pitch”? 3-5, 6? And you can change the emphasis on each of the three words to get 15 or 18 variations on those three words. And you don’t have to use those three words. Think of synonyms for “throw”

And yet how many of that vast number of options have Newman and Brown used? And that’s only one single example. 

Joe Angel and Thorne were great, in large part because they come across as sincere, and they have great radio voices. 

8 hours ago, Philip said:

Actually no that’s not true. The purpose of the color guy is to keep the audience engaged. Platitudes or false enthusiasm does not accomplish that.

That’s why interesting commentary and engaging voices are so important: they encourage a listener to keep listening even if the game is bad, because what is being said, and how it is being said, are themselves interesting. Ben has a good voice but he Usually says empty things. Brown and Newman have monotonous voices with almost no inflection, and say nothing interesting. Newman sounds like she’s reading the phone book, and with as much enthusiasm. Bordick on the other hand, fakes wild enthusiasm about the rising sun.

How many ways can you think of to say”here’s the pitch”? 3-5, 6? And you can change the emphasis on each of the three words to get 15 or 18 variations on those three words. And you don’t have to use those three words. Think of synonyms for “throw”

And yet how many of that vast number of options have Newman and Brown used? And that’s only one single example. 

Joe Angel and Thorne were great, in large part because they come across as sincere, and they have great radio voices. 

I did say "reasonable" scenario. 

Gary and Joe are/were PBP commentators, so there job is slightly different. I loved listening to Jon Miller in blowouts during losing seasons.