The O's should go for it

wildcard

There is no going for it.  They're very obviously not going to sacrifice even the smallest asset for more wins this year.  And they'll trade whomever brings back a decent return. 

They currently have somewhere between a 0.1% and 0.3% chance of winning the Series.  Sacrificing anything to slightly move that needle is crack smoking craziness.  And there's nothing even halfway rational they could do that would move it more than slightly.

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

IMO, the worst thing is being outside of the playoffs but not picking in the top 5.  Either you're contending or you're reloading, anything else in between is a waste.

Unfortunately that’s our most likely landing spot at this time.    Has it been made clear that the 2021 draft order will be based solely on where teams finish in the 2020 standings?

I'm fine for trading for a long-term piece, but definitely nothing that is a rental. We should be looking to trade everyone that is a FA at the end of this year and next. I would be thrilled if we could trade an OF prospect along with Cobb for a SS, 3B, or SP prospect?

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There is no going for it.  They're very obviously not going to sacrifice even the smallest asset for more wins this year.  And they'll trade whomever brings back a decent return. 

They currently have somewhere between a 0.1% and 0.3% chance of winning the Series.  Sacrificing anything to slightly move that needle is crack smoking craziness.  And there's nothing even halfway rational they could do that would move it more than slightly.

Going for it with this bunch is doing nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Unfortunately that’s our most likely landing spot at this time.    Has it been made clear that the 2021 draft order will be based solely on where teams finish in the 2020 standings?

I agree that it's our most likely landing spot.  Not sure what the 2021 draft order will be.  

Even if we were to get in on an 8th seed, it's still fun.  It's still something that the younger guys on the team can feel good about, playing meaningful baseball into September and having it pay off.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Apparently Manfred said that if less than half a Normal season is played, they may not use this years record as the only way the draft is ordered.

Would they just combine 2019 and 2020 and slot them that way?

I say 20% this year's record, 40% last year's, 20% reverse order of Nielsen Media Market size, and 20% reverse order of average household income of metro area.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I say 20% this year's record, 40% last year's, 20% reverse order of Nielsen Media Market size, and 20% reverse order of average household income of metro area.

I’d be OK with alphabetical order by city.   That would put us at 3.    (Really 2, since “Arizona” is not a city.)