How are you rooting Yankees-Blue Jays?

Just Regular

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

O's are 1 1/2 out of the playoffs.

Yessir. 1.5 GB behind Hou and the NYY. HOU has a tough Doubleheader with Oak today. The Yankees are slight underdogs. 

We need Means to put it together today. Huge potential 4 game series with the Yankees coming up after these two with the Mets. Just gotta take care of business. 

It would be hilarious to have had the NYY beat us 20 straight games, then now they’re scared of us rolling into town with the playoffs on the line. All the pressure is on them. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yessir. 1.5 GB behind Hou and the NYY. HOU has a tough Doubleheader with Oak today. The Yankees are slight underdogs. 

We need Means to put it together today. Huge potential 4 game series with the Yankees coming up after these two with the Mets. Just gotta take care of business. 

It would be hilarious to have had the NYY beat us 20 straight games, then now they’re scared of us rolling into town with the playoffs on the line. All the pressure is on them. 

We are not really 1.5 behind Houston.

We are, but it doesn't matter.  They are in 2nd place and the top two teams in each division make the playoffs.  So "catching" them would not put is on the playoffs.  If they were in 2nd in the AL West, even with a worse record than us, they would be in the playoffs and we wouldnt.

Now if Seattle passed the Astros for 2nd, then we would be directly competing with Houston for a playoff spot like we now are with Detroit and Seattle.

16 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even healthy I don't think they can run this gambit.  I also don't think Cashman is going to do anything stupid and the Boys seem happy enough with him running the show.

I think by "gambit" you mean "gantlet" or "gauntlet." And I assume "the Boys" are the Steinbrenners, but there's only one "Boy": Hank, who had not been very involved in Yankee matters for a while, died earlier this year, and the team is run by Hal, by far the least volatile and outspoken of the Steinbrenners.

I don't know whether whether Hal is happy with Cashman. I do know that a lot of Yankee fans are very unhappy with their team's recent misfortunes and looking for someone to take it out on -- some blaming Cashman for drafting and acquiring over-muscled, injury-prone players.

George Steinbrenner expected, or said he expected, that if the NYYs spent more money than every other team they should beat all those teams, and if they didn't he found others in the organization to blame. To a large extent that's the attitude of many of their fans. I'm sure from his past comments that Hal will be displeased if the NYYs, with the highest ML payroll in baseball (by a fairly wide margin) miss a 16-team post-season or squeeze in, with a low seed, followed by a real short run. I would guess he'll also be unhappy at the money the NYYs will lose this year: their salary savings from the shortened season will be around $125 million, while their 2019 gate receipts, according to Forbes, were $287 million.

I doubt that Cashman is in imminent trouble, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see other changes made. And Cashman will probably be under a lot of pressure, including his job being on the line, to get to the World Series in the next normal season, whenever that is.

Back to the question of whom to root for. Watching the NYYs unravel last night was very enjoyable. I find it hard to imagine an Orioles fan enjoying that game as much if it were the BJs looking so hapless in a lopsided loss. Cito can't suck that much, can he?

• Upvote 1

While nothing gives schadenfreude quite like Yankees struggles, I do still think the path to the 8 seed needs them to smother the Blue Jays.  5-5 or 6-4 in those 10 will require us to win an extra game or three to get by one of them.

Though I do like Cole having to stay hot now these next couple turns rather than having his spa treatments to get ready for the end of the month, as we work through his lifetime bullet supply.  A few more days like this and maybe they have to toy with the notion of pitching him on short rest.

The playoff outlook is so muddled this year. The team you're probably most scared to face in a short three-game series is Cleveland because Bieber and Plesac are unhittable right now, and an East or West team would be seeing them for the first time in over a year. But the Indians could realistically end up slotted anywhere from #1-7. So it's hard to snicker at the Yankees for sneaking into a playoff spot at #8 when that crummy seed could be their saving grace!

On 9/6/2020 at 9:02 PM, OrioleDog said:

10 of their last 20 head-to-head, including 10 of Toronto's next 17 as their 58/59/60 are against us.

This flight of whimsy in case Wojo/Means/Lopez/Akin/Kremer give 20 mostly credible starts.

I think I want to say the 8th seed optimizing wish is that if the Yankees can beat us 19 straight times, why can't they beat the Blue Jays 10 straight times?

Then we have a game on the Tigers for the 3-week sprint.  Red Sox (and Blue Jays if Yankees really stomp) in week 3 could be walking dead.

Sketching that scenario it is just now hitting me that if Yankees go 7-3 or 8-2 against Toronto, while our playoff odds may be 8% on ESPN now, the odds of us being within 3 games of Toronto entering the final weekend may stick in the 25-50% range.   I guess that makes Means Ballard, Akin and Kremer Harnisch and Milacki, etc.   Definitely Wojo is Dave Johnson.

10 good days - we get all the fun stuff from Bowie for the last 10, right?

It is far more likely that the Yankees go 3-6 or 2-7 in their remaining nine games against the Blue Jays. The last thing we want is 5-4 or 4-5. We want the Jays to pummel the Yankees, and clinch a spot before our final 3, so they won’t try quite so hard against us. We also want the Rays to relax so we can take 3 of our 5 games. The advantage of playing really good teams just before the end means they are resting their A-players, so maybe we can steal a few extra. The Marlins won’t be rolling over because they’ve got something to play for, so maybe they’ll be able to help us.

If Lopez takes the second Mets game, that means Akin and Kremer will each throw against the Yankees. How will they fare racing a team the second time? 
That’s the biggest question.

8 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

If Dilson Herrera could have just hit a measly sac fly in Game 1 of the DH on Friday the O's would currently hold a playoff spot.  Pretty crazy.

If cole saulser didn’t lose two games one strike away in Toronto we would be in 2nd in East.