Elias answers some questions.

weams

Just now, LookinUp said:

If this was about 2021 for me, I'd want him traded. I'm with Elias on 2021. It's still about future years.

For me, this is about our next winning team and whether Santander will be good enough to be a contributor on it. I think he will, which means I only trade him if I have actual surplus or if the right too good to turn down offer comes along.

I think surplus is a real possibility, but far from a certainty at this point.

If you are talking long term, any play with Santander part of it is likely a disaster scenario for the team.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If you are talking long term, any play with Santander part of it is likely a disaster scenario for the team.

Wow. Maybe I'm wrong about him then. I'll take 2-4 WAR in RF and be happy finding other answers to fill in the rest of the team. I guess you're saying you don't think he'll be that 2-4 WAR guy, right?

I think I think that in the clubhouse today, Santander is ahead of both Diaz and Kjerstad at mid-case 2024 productivity.

Arb4 that year means the $$$/Win will be a lot worse but I also expect Camden to be filling back up around then as the Peak Rutschman teams start to play.

The Rule V and switch hit attributes both add spice for me, though some of that is Murray/Singleton nostalgia with Adley coming as a possible middle of order switch hitter too.

Just now, OrioleDog said:

I think I think that in the clubhouse today, Santander is ahead of both Diaz and Kjerstad at mid-case 2024 productivity.

Arb4 that year means the $$$/Win will be a lot worse but I also expect Camden to be filling back up around then as the Peak Rutschman teams start to play.

The Rule V and switch hit attributes both add spice for me, though some of that is Murray/Singleton nostalgia with Adley coming as a possible middle of order switch hitter too.

The 2014 team won 96 games and couldn't pull in 2.5M fans.  What do you consider filling up?

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Wow. Maybe I'm wrong about him then. I'll take 2-4 WAR in RF and be happy finding other answers to fill in the rest of the team. I guess you're saying you don't think he'll be that 2-4 WAR guy, right?

2 WAR?  Sure.

3?  Maybe.

4?  It’s possible but I don’t think that would happen beyond 2022 and I think it’s unlikely overall.

The Orioles drafted the player they want to replace him and that player should be ready within 2 years, if he’s as good as they think.  So either he is and Santander is gone (he will be too costly to be a DH unless his numbers greatly improve) or Kjerstad doesn’t pan out, which is a disaster scenario for a team that has been losing on purpose to get that high pick.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The 2014 team won 96 games and couldn't pull in 2.5M fans.  What do you consider filling up?

Enough to pay for the HR/RBI if he proves to be a player worth having in 2021-2023.

2024's probably one of the best years in terms of the Rutschman Cohort being both effective MLB players, and still cheap.   Even the Week 2 Adley we won't get would only be a Super 2 Arb 2 in 2024.

21 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

2 WAR?  Sure.

3?  Maybe.

4?  It’s possible but I don’t think that would happen beyond 2022 and I think it’s unlikely overall.

The Orioles drafted the player they want to replace him and that player should be ready within 2 years, if he’s as good as they think.  So either he is and Santander is gone (he will be too costly to be a DH unless his numbers greatly improve) or Kjerstad doesn’t pan out, which is a disaster scenario for a team that has been losing on purpose to get that high pick.

I don't think Kjerstad not panning out would be a disaster. I'm guessing that some combination of our top 4/5 prospects aren't going to be that good. It always happens, and I don't think we're 100% reliant on those guys all panning out. What's important is that some of them end up as good as hoped, and that we get better than expected production from lower in the list, or from guys on our team now, like Santander. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I don't think Kjerstad not panning out would be a disaster. I'm guessing that some combination of our top 4/5 prospects aren't going to be that good. It always happens, and I don't think we're 100% reliant on those guys all panning out. What's important is that some of them end up as good as hoped, and that we get better than expected production from lower in the list, or from guys on our team now, like Santander. 

The Orioles sole purpose last few years has been to lose games.  The only advantage you get in losing games is one high draft pick and money to spend in the draft.  If that completely fails, it’s a disaster.  Doesn’t mean you can’t overcome it but look at the Phils.  They did a crappy job of drafting and they never really overcame that. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The Orioles sole purpose last few years has been to lose games.  The only advantage you get in losing games is one high draft pick and money to spend in the draft.  If that completely fails, it’s a disaster.  Doesn’t mean you can’t overcome it but look at the Phils.  They did a crappy job of drafting and they never really overcame that. 

While making the owners money.

These burn it to the ground rebuilds tend to be good for the bottom line.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Mark Appel and Brady Aiken say hi.