Reasons to not believe owners about “lost money”?

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't changing at all.  Not sure why you keep making me repeat myself.

You said " obviously playing more games for losses before empty stands would further help the owners in negotiations. ".

I do not think that is at all obvious.  You think it is obvious.  That is the idea you are working under concerning the negotiations. 

This is simply not an accurate representation.  I was addressing your theory, with your scenario.  Quoting me completely out of context in a point about your theory and attributing to me as being a theory of mine is just poor, Corn.  And you know it.  I do not believe the negotiations are at all related to the question of the players demanding that games be played in empty stadiums in order they they be paid more money while the owners lose money.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't dismiss everything Boras says out of hand. 

For the record I'm firmly in the owners are nothing but money grubbing liar camp.  At least the clear majority of them.

I'm in the camp that owners, agents and players all hang out in that same camp!

3 hours ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, I'm not buying into that at all.  I don't think there's much doubt that there were losses.  Creating more losses by forcing owners to schedule more games before empty stands would positively impact the owners' position in negotiations by your own reckoning.  You really do seem to be arguing both ends against the middle.  Think about it.

Every negotiation between the MLbPA and owners is always about the next CBA.  

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, Frobby said:

I think most teams probably operated at a loss in 2020.   There was a good article about the Braves in Fangraphs.   They are part of a publicly traded company now so their books are public.   Fangraphs estimated that the Braves had a net loss of $65 mm this year, compared to a $150 mm profit last year.    They made the point that even though the Braves took a pretty substantial loss, all you’d have to do is go back one year and they’d be profitable over a two year period.  https://blogs.fangraphs.com/what-the-braves-can-tell-us-about-mlb-financial-losses-in-2020/

Forbes today reported the Braves loss at $67 mm.   So Fangraphs was very close.