Tex or AJ

bigbird

Teixeira or Burnett?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Teixeira or Burnett?

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because Old 5 Fan does not agree with you does not make him ignorant about the game or the organization. Don't make it personal. Diagreement on opinions are what these boards run on. Just because you or I, think it to be true does not make it true.

One other point, we do have a stockpile of potential major league pitchers but until that potential develops into positive major league results we have nothing. Even Wieters who is our minor league shining star can not be counted as a sure thing yet. Many, IMO have correctly identified the need for a solid, veteran backup catcher to help develop Wieters. Even more so we need to bring in at least 2 solid major league starters to allow our young pitchers to arrive at the right time and grow properly. As it is now, our pitching is awful. Before anything else, it must be stabalized. It is fine to disagree with that, but if you want to just add a Paul Bryd or two than do not complain when the team goes 70-92 next year, even with Tex.

I agree we need 2 starters. I just have a fear of long term deals to pitchers. That eliminates the top tier of FA's. And there's not a whole lot after that. Quite the dilemma.

I agree we need 2 starters. I just have a fear of long term deals to pitchers. That eliminates the top tier of FA's. And there's not a whole lot after that. Quite the dilemma.

How about trades for either proven starters or high level Triple A prospects who are considerably stronger than what the Orioles have now as in Liz, Olson and Penn? How about trading two of them to get John Maine back? This organization is going to start having to take some high risk to get some high rewards. There is no reason to be conservative as we are rock bottom right now in the division.

How about trades for either proven starters or high level Triple A prospects who are considerably stronger than what the Orioles have now as in Liz, Olson and Penn? How about trading two of them to get John Maine back? This organization is going to start having to take some high risk to get some high rewards. There is no reason to be conservative as we are rock bottom right now in the division.

I like the idea of trading for one of the new starters as opposed to buying 2. A Matt Garza type would be great for the future of the Orioles. The problem with trading for a Matt Garza type is that you need a Delmon Young type to get him. At this point we do not have that guy to trade. As for AAA prospects, the guys that jump to mind are Homer Bailey, Clay Bucholtz, and Nick Adenhart. They may be available and have great upside but are they ready to do a better job next year than Olson or Liz. Maybe I am crazy but I think we could see improvement in them if they were the 5th starter and we had solid anchors at the top of the rotation. More often than not a young pitcher starts to develop in the second year of consistent pitching. Look at this year. Ervin Santana, Scott Baker, Gavin Floyd, John Danks, Jesse Litsch and Tony Saunders who all had severe growing pains in 2006/2007 seemed to have established themselves in 2008. Floyd and Danks were traded from their original teams in part because their organizations and fan base were disenchanted. Santana was being peddled to the Orioles and hindsight says we should have made the Santana/Aybar trade but at the time Santana's numbers, especially on the road were very Liz/Olson like.

I think we may have to bite the bullet on at least one solid FA starter and hopefully acquire a second for less $$$ than a Burnett is going to cost. That would leave our rotation with 2 acquisitions, Guthrie, Jim Johnson, and either Olson/Liz. The loser of the Olson/Liz joins Hayden Penn (has to be kept, unless he can be traded) as long men out of our pen. Hopefully they grow there and are in waiting when the inevitable injuries occur. If not Patton, and the AA group are developing and getting healthy in Norfolk. Albers, hopefully healthy joins Ray, Sherrill etc. at the back end. To me that is our best chance of getting the rotation and pen not to implode in August.

Just because Old 5 Fan does not agree with you does not make him ignorant about the game or the organization. Don't make it personal. Diagreement on opinions are what these boards run on. Just because you or I, think it to be true does not make it true
He is ignorant because he really doesn't know anything about the system, the players in it or the FAs we are talking about...His differing opinion of mine has nothing to do with it.

I think we have really missed the thread topic here. It is Tex or AJ. Not Tex or an entire new pitching staff. Everyone knows we need pitching. We need it bad enough that one starter (AJ) will do almost no good. I just want to try to understand the people who would rather have AJ, You guys are saying that AJ alone, no other pitching help, is a greater positive impact than Tex? I am having trouble fathoming that.

I think we have really missed the thread topic here. It is Tex or AJ. Not Tex or an entire new pitching staff. Everyone knows we need pitching. We need it bad enough that one starter (AJ) will do almost no good. I just want to try to understand the people who would rather have AJ, You guys are saying that AJ alone, no other pitching help, is a greater positive impact than Tex? I am having trouble fathoming that.

The reason you are having trouble fathoming it is because it is a false, non- sensical statement.

I think your post here is spot on and really does get to the "heart of the topic".

I don't believe anyone has said or even implied (I know I surely haven't) that signing only one top FA pitcher like AJ will have much of an impact. Of course it won't but at least it is a starting point. What is the point of overspending on Tex a guy who unless and until we make unbelievably big changes to the pitching will be essentially worthless because of it and cost the team a fortune that it could otherwise spend on the more vital need of pitching Pitching, and More PITCHING!!:cussing:

The reason you are having trouble fathoming it is because it is a false, non- sensical statement.

I think your post here is spot on and really does get to the "heart of the topic".

And I have seen absolutely nobody making that statement either. So give it up.

He is ignorant because he really doesn't know anything about the system, the players in it or the FAs we are talking about...His differing opinion of mine has nothing to do with it.

I wish I knew half as much as what you think you know. I would be a genius instead of an almost genius around here as my reputation states. Anyway, if you are so doggone smart think of a way to get the Orioles some pitching help immediately that is do-able and propose it on a thread like I did. And don't come up with the wait for prospects because so far that is a bigger gamble than betting on the stock market.

I think we have really missed the thread topic here. It is Tex or AJ. Not Tex or an entire new pitching staff. Everyone knows we need pitching. We need it bad enough that one starter (AJ) will do almost no good. I just want to try to understand the people who would rather have AJ, You guys are saying that AJ alone, no other pitching help, is a greater positive impact than Tex? I am having trouble fathoming that.[/quote

Unless the pitching is improved adding Tex to this team will do almost no good. Plus he would be crazy if he came here with the current staff.

Archived