Matt Blood: “we want to continue to challenge players”

Frobby

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What do you mean by over rushed?  Why do you think over rushing is something to be concerned about?

Main worry is Gunnar Henderson being promoted to Bowie at 19. I think he should start in Delmarva even if its only a few weeks. I believe players should start in age appropriate leagues in the minors. 

4 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Main worry is Gunnar Henderson being promoted to Bowie at 19. I think he should start in Delmarva even if its only a few weeks. I believe players should start in age appropriate leagues in the minors. 

They should start where their talent, skill level and maturity day they should start.

No reason to have some set rule book on when to do things.  Everyone is different.

I think you could argue Machado was rushed even if he was clearly an asset at 3B those first few years. His hitting didnt really improve until 2015. Schoop obviously was rushed but turned out OK the following season. Pitchers have their best velocity at a younger age so Im fine with rushing them to the majors with only cups of coffee at different minor league levels. 

We'll see when the rubber meets the road, but my feeling is that because in 2020 the elites like Adley/Grayson, etc got even a bigger slice of the developmental pie than they normally would have, their relative advantage over other 20-24 year old baseball players perhaps GREW.   I mean this was the basic point of culling the minors generally, never mind the 2020 of it all extending that to just your best 10-20 guys getting the Bowie experience.

Part of the entertainment value of high school pitchers is just the dreaming on them, but even if Grayson isn't Jose Fernandez, Mike Soroka things might more realistically be in play.  Soroka's shoulder scare kept his 3rd pro year to 6 minor league and 5 MLB starts, but if Grayson's arm is good for 20-25 GS next summer, a cup of coffee or three doesn't feel out of the question to me for some of them.

And he's a year or two behind Hall/Baumann.   These few guys are your Lindor Cohort attractors more so than Mountcastle/Means/Yusniel if you have any aspiration for that kind of splash.

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

You have guys in the majors at 19.  

I think that 99% of the guys that are difference makers in the majors will be fine if aggressively pushed.

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have guys in the majors at 19.  

I think that 99% of the guys that are difference makers in the majors will be fine if aggressively pushed.

The elite high draft pick types, sure. If scouts say they are ready its hard to argue. I just dont like the idea of someone jumping from rookie ball to AA at 19.

• Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The elite high draft pick types, sure. If scouts say they are ready its hard to argue. I just dont like the idea of someone jumping from rookie ball to AA at 19.

And I doubt he will.   But I do think there’s a good chance he starts in A+ instead of low A, after spending last summer at the alternate camp against older competition and turning some heads.   

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Rushing a prospect is a term that people use but it’s largely bs.

If the option rules didn't exist as they are, I think we would see way more younger prospects getting chances, but under the current rules, it's pretty tough to put a kid on the 40-man roster before he's absolutely ready in case you need to option him a few times if he proves that he's not.

• Upvote 1