O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

LookinUp

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He isn’t here for his bat. 

20-12-13-23 HRs in 2016-2019.  7 last year which pro-rates to 18 or 19.

So certainly reasonable to expect 15+ as a full time player in Camden Yards.   We aren't talking A-Rod or Nomah, but it's not chopped liver.

[Sidebar:  why is chopped liver the universal analogy for something that is bad?   Why are "hotcakes" always the example of something that sells very quickly?]

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

20-12-13-23 HRs in 2016-2019.  7 last year which pro-rates to 18 or 19.

So certainly reasonable to expect 15+ as a full time player in Camden Yards.   We aren't talking A-Rod or Nomah, but it's not chopped liver.

[Sidebar:  why is chopped liver the universal analogy for something that is bad?   Why are "hotcakes" always the example of something that sells very quickly?]

You set me down in a restaurant and hand me a menu with the only two dishes being Chopped Liver and Hotcakes and I'll get the Hotcakes every time.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You right ...but we could’ve got a comparable guy in the rule 5 or the independent league and saved the million dollars

Its chopped liver, but there is below replacement level performance and starvation.  Even flashing "washed up" afield last year, he's probably the best defender and overall player we were going to get.   

Richie Martin might get himself a few more months of MLB paychecks if Galvis's glove doesn't bounce back.  

12 minutes ago, SteveA said:

7 straight years of positive WAR, averaging 1.1 WAR/year over that time.   So very likely to produce positive WAR this year.

I contend that you can't get someone who is very likely to produce positive WAR this year in the rule 5, and definitely not in the independent league.   You can get someone who MIGHT, but not someone who is likely to.   And I believe Galvis is likely to.

Since your not trying to win the difference doesn’t matter. If they are truly broke why spend it.

I was for the Iglesias trade no matter what, but a lot of people were against it because it hurt our defense.

Galvis solves that. Some help for the young pitchers. Not a year where we're competing whether we like it or not, so this is exactly they type of move that makes sense. Might as well find a similar option at 3b.

Then sell the team, please.

• Upvote 2