Cobb to Angels

Yardball85

Just now, NCRaven said:

It was now or the deadline.  But Cobb was getting traded at some point.

Yea I’m just surprised they found a taker now.

When I say surprised, I would have thought they would have to eat a lot of that deal to move him and I didn’t see the Os doing that, even if it meant saving money overall.

Im not surprised someone wants Cobb.  I think he can be good this year and going out to LA is even better.  He represents a good option for a lot of teams but not at his salary or anything close to it.

I wonder if we get anything worthwhile in return?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The GM is filling up the rotation so the owner won't go over his head and sign Bauer to a franchise crippling contract.

Here's hoping Sandy Alderson tampering bears out.   We should have a few more pennies to help with Betances/Familia if needed after this.

Unless we're sending a bigger chunk of $$$, I don't expect even the Garrett Stallings type guy here - this could easily be PTBNL unless we're buying a prospect.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea I’m just surprised they found a taker now.

When I say surprised, I would have thought they would have to eat a lot of that deal to move him and I didn’t see the Os doing that, even if it meant saving money overall.

Im not surprised someone wants Cobb.  I think he can be good this year and going out to LA is even better.  He represents a good option for a lot of teams but not at his salary or anything close to it.

I wonder if we get anything worthwhile in return?

You wanting them to take on money to make a deal may be playing out here in reverse. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea that’s possible but I think that goes against what Elias is trying to do..although he may not have a choice either.

The more they eat the better prospects they should get in return. Can’t see Angels paying him all of that money.  

I'll wait to see on the return to decide what kind of move this was.

If it's just a salary dump, then all the Orioles did was make themselves worse for 2021 and saved money. That will be disappointing but not surprising consider the other money saving things this organizations has been doing.

My guess is we won't get much of a return unless we eat a significant part of that $15 million.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'll wait to see on the return to decide what kind of move this was.

If it's just a salary dump, then all the Orioles did was make themselves worse for 2021 and saved money. That will be disappointing but not surprising consider the other money saving things this organizations has been doing.

My guess is we won't get much of a return unless we eat a significant part of that $15 million.

I won't even be disappointed if it's a dump.  I can't imagine anyone giving up quality for Cobb and he makes no sense on the 2021 team.  Hopefully whatever money is saved on his salary will go to some other aspect of the team.

• Upvote 2

At no point this year is Cobb is likely to fetch a really good return.

But if it is strictly money and we get back a few non prospects, I would have rather held him and see what he gives in his first 10-15 starts and then see if you can get a better piece or 2. 

Of course, the injury risk is there as well, so you may end up with nothing and have to pay the full 15m

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea that’s possible but I think that goes against what Elias is trying to do..although he may not have a choice either.

I have no insights on what is going in the ownership or front office currently, but judging by his actions this off season, I'm guessing Elias was given a pretty tight budget to work within this season.

• Upvote 1