MLB Announces New Teams & Leagues

Roll Tide

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Is it permanent, or just a reaction to the pandemic?

It's permanent. The emotions about it are to be expected ... and that's OK. But as a longtime business reporter and editor, I have to say the business model makes perfect sense. Every MLB team now has the same amount of affiliates and players -- who are getting higher pay than before. Cities that lost franchises are now have the opportunity to be in the MLB Draft League (Frederick), partner leagues (Atlantic, Pioneer and more) or collegiate summer leagues (Appy). From a business point of view, it should have been done a long time ago. Change hurts, and I understand that. It had to happen, though.

26 minutes ago, mojmann said:

It's permanent. The emotions about it are to be expected ... and that's OK. But as a longtime business reporter and editor, I have to say the business model makes perfect sense. Every MLB team now has the same amount of affiliates and players -- who are getting higher pay than before. Cities that lost franchises are now have the opportunity to be in the MLB Draft League (Frederick), partner leagues (Atlantic, Pioneer and more) or collegiate summer leagues (Appy). From a business point of view, it should have been done a long time ago. Change hurts, and I understand that. It had to happen, though.

And this is why the corporate business model is hot garbage.

Not everything fits on a spreadsheet.

You have diminished the game of baseball.

I'm glad you made three cents in the process.

Guess what?

In the long run, you'll cost yourself far more.

20 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Hope they get league names sooner rather than later. And I hope they aren't corporate names, but I expect they will be.

Are there going to be league names besides "Triple A" and "Double A"?  The article didn't explicitly say they're going to have names, unless I missed it.

I think that's fine.  Most of the old leagues began as actual competitive professional leagues, but it's been decades since they were anything but short-term developmental stops for players with meaningless pennant races.  To me a generic Triple A designation fits better.

Glad to hear the pay is increasing for players and the travel will be less than in the past. 

I'm interested to see how the Draft League and the partner leagues will work. We already knew about the Orioles affiliates so no changes there.

I still feel for Frederick on losing out of being an Orioles affiliate. 

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Glad to hear the pay is increasing for players and the travel will be less than in the past. 

I'm interested to see how the Draft League and the partner leagues will work. We already knew about the Orioles affiliates so no changes there.

I still feel for Frederick on losing out of being an Orioles affiliate. 

Don't feel back for Frederick.

Feel bad for the Orioles.

They're the ones who just lost tens of thousands of fans, and more every year going forward, to the Nationals.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Are there going to be league names besides "Triple A" and "Double A"?  The article didn't explicitly say they're going to have names, unless I missed it.

I think that's fine.  Most of the old leagues began as actual competitive professional leagues, but it's been decades since they were anything but short-term developmental stops for players with meaningless pennant races.  To me a generic Triple A designation fits better.

Yeah, they don't have the rights to the old league names, so these are placeholders. And I expect there to be a corporate aspect to the league names, whether it is completely corporate or not remains to be seen. The Mickey Mantle League brought to you by Scotts Lawn Care, or whatever.

The geographic realignment of the leagues makes plenty of sense.   I wonder if teams will play exclusively within their divisions, or if there will be some interdivisional play.  

I do think they should come up with non-generic names for these leagues.    How about the Crash Davis League, the Nuke Laloosh League, etc.?

PS — I’m very glad to see the players are getting pay raises.   

• Upvote 1